What to do for my Butterfly bush?

+6
I planted a butterfly bush 10 years ago. It grows to a height over 5 feet tall. It has never bloomed. I have tried different ways to kill it but it just keeps coming back. What do I need to do to make it bloom or kill it.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Nov 30, 2017
    Not sure why no blooms but they are beautiful in fall...mine is bright red now!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 30, 2017
    Have you pruned the bush in the past,and if so when,Have you ever fertilized it,where is it planted? Butterfly bushes need sun
  • Bjg25750075 Bjg25750075 on Nov 30, 2017
    Cal your county extention service and have soil analyzed
    I live in Leesburg Florida and I give my butterfly bushes a little coffee at least once a week. (grounds)because I live with 9 pine trees, the coffee grounds sweeten the soil.
    I give some to all my flowering plants
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Nov 30, 2017
    Does it get enough sun? They like sun. May it needs some fertilizer- but this should wait until the spring..
  • Sus12778719 Sus12778719 on Dec 01, 2017
    Butterfly bushes only bloom from new branches thus they must be cut back in late fall /early spring. I cut mine back to about 8” tall in December. If crown is too large I split it and plant both new crowns deep enough to just cover the crown.
    While they are blooming I cut off any spent blooms and get more blooms.
    I hope this will work for your bushes and you get bushes that bloom plentiful and beautiful.
  • Leslie Leslie on Dec 02, 2017
    Try some Epsom salts rather than fertilizer and, ad other reader suggested; speak with your count extension agent.
  • Mogie Mogie on Dec 02, 2017
    You need to cut your butterfly bush back every year. We cut ours down to about 12 inches high every late fall.
  • Neva Dew Neva Dew on Dec 09, 2017
    If you really want it gone then cut it at ground level and apply full strength herbicide concentrate (Roundup, etc) directly on the freshly cut stump. May take more than one cut and/or application but I think the plant will die.
    • Donna Donna on Dec 10, 2017
      I sure hope so. I’ve dug up roots and it still keeps growing. If it would bloom I would keep it.