How do I patch popcorn ceilings that are peeling off in huge sheets.?

+2
  • Cheryl Rowland Cheryl Rowland on Nov 30, 2017
    Most people do not like popcorn ceilings and therefore remove them. To me, if the areas are very large than that is what I would do remove it and be done with it.
  • Kim Kim on Nov 30, 2017
    How old are your ceilings? If they were installed in the Mid 1980’s or earlier they are likely asbestos. Older coatings, containing asbestos, pose a particularly serious hazard. Inhaling microscopic asbestos fibers can cause asbestosis, a fibrosing lung disease; pleural mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining (pleura) of the lung; and peritoneal mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining (peritoneum) of the abdomen.
    Professional expertise to identify the presence of asbestos is recommended. Only those trained to remove the coating or working with a surface covered with the substance should do so only wearing effective dust-proof protective clothing and masks. Meanwhile, the area with peeling popcorn ceilings should be sealed off.
    If it’s newer popcorn ceilings, and you like them, I would suggest removing what you have and having New installed. You can do it yourself. Cover all that can't be removed from the room and your floors with plastic. This is gonna get messy! Cover door openings with overlapping sheets of plastic that you can use like a door.
    Spray your ceiling really well with water. A new pump bug/yard sprayer works great for this. Do not used a used one! Let water soak in and scrape down. Putty knives work great. If you have a floor scraper and a steady light hand, that works really well!
    When all scraped, use plastic to wrap up debris and haul out.
    😊
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 30, 2017
    I would check to see why they are coming off in sheets. A lot of the time that is a sign of moisture in the ceiling getting to it. That is the only way I have ever had the finish peel in sheets.
  • Nancy Nancy on Dec 01, 2017
    water, spray bottle scraper
  • Ham2069982 Ham2069982 on Dec 01, 2017
    Do not envy you at all ! Scrape off all that is loose. Stem the rest of it, a section at a time. make sure you covered everything, before you start. Allow the ceiling to dry, them prime really good ( at least 2 coats, then paint, spray with popcorn again, or leave as is. If you ' re-popcorn', spray a coat of paint over it, when it's dry.