Lamp shade problems

+4
How do I fix this? I don’t want to buy a new one as its twin is in perfect condition. Any suggetions are highly appreciated. Thank you
q lamp shade problems
q lamp shade problems
  • Dfm Dfm on Dec 01, 2017
    Photo?
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 01, 2017
    Not sure what the problem is...Is it a rip or is it coming apart from the frame that would require gluing?
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 03, 2017
    I suggest that you get 1 1/2- 2” mending tape from the sewing department. It doesn’t matter if it is sew-on or iron-on because you are going to glue it. Also buy fabric glue. If you can’t find it, buy clear extra-strength glue for porous material. Look for Elmer’s or Gorilla glues. Back at home, dust the lampshade from top to bottom, including the binding at the edges and inside, too. If you have a filial at the top holding on the lampshade, this is a good time to polish, repaint, or replace the filials on both lamps.

Now, measure the length from top edge to bottom edge of the shade. You can simply use the mending tape to measure, then cut the tape. You might need an extra set of hands here, but you should be able to do this alone. You will need your mending tape and glue, then about 6” of transparent tape.
    Squeeze glue on the TOP side of the mending tape, applying in long thin lines since it might show through the shade.
    From the outside of the shade, move the ripped part back in place, as well as you can. Hold it in place with one hand. With the other, press the glued mending tape to the underside of the ripped area. With your third hand, ha ha, press the part on top onto the glued part, catching any bare threads over the frame wire and into the groove on the other side of the frame wire. Hold the pieces together with the transparent tape and your hands. There simply isn’t any other way to hold the curved shade with the folds together until the glue has dried. Being extra-strength, it may take the glue longer to dry.

Once the glue has dried, check out your shade. If it is holding together, as it should, decide if the mended area should go in the front, side or back. If the mend does not look taut to you, you could try warm glue (a form of hot glue), to fill in any gaps. This you will want to keep to the back.

I send my best wishes to you. It is unlikely you would find another lampshade to match, so I really hope this or someone else’s solution works for you. 😇
  • Rosie Rosie on Dec 03, 2017
    Thank you! 😊
    • Mr S Mr S on Dec 04, 2017
      Thank YOU! I’m sure it’ll work for me, it all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to give me such a thorough description of the entire process to mend this lamp shade. You’re correct, no other will match its twin that happens to be in perfect shape 🧐
      happy holidays 🍾🎉🎄