How do you get the old vintage smell out of an antique dresser?

+3
I bought a antique dresser at a antique store and I can't get the old musty smell out. Please help.

• Poi31903963 Poi31903963 on Dec 01, 2017
    Try using newspapers to absorb the smell. That's what you do for Tupperware bowls that smell. With them, you can seal the bowl, though. You could also try baking soda. It will absorb the smell. Sprinkle it in the drawers and let it sit awhile. Repeat a few times. Also, activated charcoal. Hope it helps.
  • Wipe it out with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. You can also place a few lumps of charcoal in each drawer until the odor dissipates. And if need be, you can get fine grade sandpaper and lightly sand the inside of the drawers.
  • Lin28000978 Lin28000978 on Dec 01, 2017
    First take out the drawers and wipe all surfaces (except the fronts) with a rag which has been dipped in bleach. Let the drawers dry, preferably outdoors in the sun. When you replace the drawers in the dresser, add a few dryer sheets into the corners. Good luck
  • Kel31581896 Kel31581896 on Dec 01, 2017
    Thank you for all your responses.... I so far have tried wiping out the drawers with a mixture of vinegar and water ( it helped a little ) I have also placed a pine cone scented with cinnamon in each drawer but after I removed them, within a few days the smell was back. I will try the bleach this weekend and see how that goes :)
  • Emily Emily on Dec 01, 2017
    Are you sure the smell is musty? No matter the age of a piece of furniture it should not smell unpleasant. We bought a second hand china closet and it had an unpleasant odor. I thought I could "seal" it in so I put a coat of polyurethane on it, That is what had caused the bad odor in the first place! My son-in-laws mother makes furniture and she did the same thing. She said the only recourse was to take the piece outside and remove the poly.
  • William William on Dec 01, 2017
    All great tips. If the odor still comes back you can seal it with shellac. Polyurethane or varnish won't work.