My electrician put aluminum wiring in my home run to my room addition

Should I be concerned I am sure he did it to save money for the copper cost. Room addition is almost 1600 sqft 100 amp box just TV and lights/a/c.
Should I be concerned. He used size 4 I was told size 2 would have been better

  6 answers
  • Gayle Gayle on Dec 01, 2017
    Yes absolutely
  • I would be very concerned. Is this guy licensed? What does your local building code specify? Has it been inspected during the "rough in" phase? If not, call your local city or county inspectors and get someone out there fast. And have the contractor do it right! If he/she is cutting corners here, I would be concerned about the entire structure.
  • Jason T. Lee Jason T. Lee on Dec 01, 2017
    Yes you need to contact the local building inspector. This is what I found to help you.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 01, 2017
    The wiring should have been put it to cover any "future" improvements that may come up. The wiring sounds a little skinny to me to even cover the A/C much less anything else that would put a stress on the wiring. I would definitely get it checked out and go after the electrician if he did it wrong the first time. He could have put you and your family in danger of an electrical fire.
  • Harleyron74 Harleyron74 on Dec 01, 2017
    This would be A question for your electrical inspector. Different area's have different regulations as to what is allowed and what is not.
    Give the inspector A call and make sure that the work was inspected and that it was done properly.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 01, 2017
    Aluminum wiring could create major problems for you...especially if it is connected to copper wiring... big fire hazard... contact your local county building inspectors or a verified ( or home inspector and have some one check it out immediately... get a reliable, verified Electrical contractor to do it right... and take the other guy to court to recoup the expense.
    Then contact the Better Business Bureau, Contractors licensing authority, etc and and file a report/complaint...
    This guy could have burnt your house down.