How do I make a pattern for a coat for my dog?

+3
I just bought a really well made coat for my Great Dane but it is still a little short and a little snug. Can I make a pattern from it and then make it larger? If so how? I did some sewing and repairs as a kid but that was 20 years ago. We just moved to Massachusetts if that helps anyone.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 01, 2017
    If you carefully take it apart you should be able to use it as a pattern. Add what you need for the additional length and width and make sure you have the extra added on for your sewing seams and hemming, just like a regular pattern has added on. Even though it has been twenty years, it comes back quickly and you may start sewing clothes again! I did the same thing with my moms, which was the early Singer, one of the first electrics. I ended up getting a good sewing machine years later and started sewing clothes for my kids.
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 01, 2017
    There are a bunch of patterns on google and a video.....
    LOL this is a good one for snow in fleece.... click on the picture of the pattern... http://www.saunalahti.fi/glottis/raincoat.htm
    I used to make coats for my clients really large pit bull, and I would buy fleece blankets/lap blankets at the thrift store, and even got fabric belts for the belly and butt fastners. I also used to make the top of the coats waterproof by using ripstop nylon jackets for the top.
  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 01, 2017
    Get a piece of paper, brown mailing or gift wrapping paper is preferable over newspaper (because of the ink mess). Lay your coat onto the paper and draw around it, adding the extra length, etc., as you draw. A ruler will help add equally. Mark any special points, such as button holes, etc. I'm not really sure what features a dog coat has because I live with cats! Don't worry if it's not perfect; after it's cut out, fold the paper in half lengthwise and trim one or the other side until they match Or after placing the pattern onto your dog for a trial fitting just cut the pattern in half down that lengthwise fold so you only have half a pattern. When you use the pattern you'll fold the cloth lengthwise and place that straight edge onto the fold. This allows you to cut half the amount of the coat but when you unfold the fabric you have a whole coat.
  • Linda Linda on Dec 01, 2017
    Yes. If you are brave - take a part the purchased coat & lay it out on newspaper to make your pattern. Make the pattern large in the areas that you need. Make one out of muslin to check for fit - you can just baised it together. Adjust as needed then make the real one out of good fabric when you are please with the fit.
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 01, 2017
    I would carefully take the seams apart and add more space where needed in using it for a pattern. Hope this helps
  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 01, 2017
    Butterick pattern number 4885 would be quite simple to adjust both in girth and length. A number of coats could be made for different uses: rain coat made from Sunbrella canvas or other water proof fabric, line it with flannel or just cotton... indoor coat from fleece or flannel... going out side in winter coat, Rip Stop Nylon lined with fleece or faux sheep skin.... and from various fabrics. The belt could be made separately (attach via "belt loops" sewn center back and each side edge), and a parachute buckle would make it adjustable
    We had an English Springer Spaniel, and we lived on a boat.. when Tim would take her for her walks in the rain... people would comment on his and her matching Yellow rain slickers ( with a hood, like version B...which I made for her)