How to clean silver plated

+4
  • William William on Dec 02, 2017
    I sell a lot of silver/siverplate on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 02, 2017
    plain white toothpaste
  • I've tried the foil method and I agree with William, it just doesn't work that well. I used a metal polish that is a cream and it worked the best of any other diy method.
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 02, 2017
    I use a jar of silver polish I’ve had forty years. It takes so little! I bought it in a jewelry store that sold silverware and punch bowls, as well as rings. Of course, I keep my silver plate covered in plastic, in boxes, until I need it. I used to have these sheets of foam paper with tissue on one side that were packed with the silver plate, but they gradually got torn and thrown out. I wish I knew what magic powers those sheets had. 😇
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 02, 2017
    Because silver plate will wear off I use a gentle polisher that won't scratch like some DIY products. I'm 73 and still have some of my grandmother's silver that I keep polished. It's well over 100 years old. I only use Wright's Silver Cream. Beware of the liquid polish - it is very strong, and will take a layer of silver off.