How to remove popcorn ceiling painted and not painted

+5
  • Tara Austin Tara Austin on Dec 02, 2017
    we used a spray bottle with some water and a floor scraper. It made a mess and took forever but it came off.
  • Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Dec 02, 2017
    There is no guarantee that after you remove the popcorn that the ceiling won’t need to be painted. Also, Tara cheesboro suggested how to remove it but be sure to do this in an unseen spot first as not all popcorn ceiling can be removed that easily. You might also k Ow that before a certain year there was asbestos in the paint so if you live in an older home you might want to check that out first.
  • Jgr26317845 Jgr26317845 on Dec 02, 2017
    Spray with warm water with garden sprayer after covering floor with plastic. Let sit and then scrape with spatula . lightly sand after dries . Roll up plastic and discard .
    We did ours then kiltz before painting
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 02, 2017
    A messy job no matter how you do it. You will probably find the ceiling underneath needs work. Covering it is often the easiest course.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 02, 2017
    Just be aware that wet popcorn gets really heavy... really fast...we tried the roll it up into a burrito tactic... really heavy and hard to hold on to.. we have always used a heavy-ish tarp...so that the dropped popcorn can be swept up and placed into a large trash can which can be emptied more often for easier handling.
  • Elle Elle on Dec 02, 2017
    be very careful of age of ceiling.........many have asbestos........that are popcorned I think if over 30. But you can look up to be sure........I read article because nursing home my mom was in starting remodeling and I was concerned with dust, fumes, etc. they said no problem I printed article and they were in trouble there was in their old popcorn ceilings. Had to plastic off every area and gown completely up even faces......and head.

• Nicola Nicola on Dec 02, 2017
    A sander and wear a mask and goggles