How to protect lilac bush through East coast winter?

+5
  • Denise Powell Denise Powell on Dec 02, 2017
    I have not found the winter to affect a Lilac bush

• Barb Barb on Dec 02, 2017
    Depending how big it is, I’ve seen my neighbor‘s ( Buffalo area) use burlap to rap them r a large wood made box.
  • Melissa V Melissa V on Dec 02, 2017
    Have never done anything to ours, but they are trees now and very well established.
  • Elaine Elaine on Dec 02, 2017
    They should be just fine! I’ve seen some very bad Winters and the lilacs come back every year. Think about the times you drive down a country road and see lilacs growing wild ... or walk through a field where an old house used to stand and someone planted lilacs years and years ago ... they all survive just fine!
  • Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on Dec 02, 2017
    I had lilacs in central New Jersey and never did anything to them for the winter.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 02, 2017
    I have never covered lilacs for the winter. They are very hardy and they survive the most brutal winters without a problem. All I do is cut back any dead wood next spring after the buds come out to see what is really dead.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 02, 2017
    You cold "tent" it with burlap, but, most lilac bushes here in the north seem to do fine without any special treatment.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 02, 2017
    It should not require any winter protection