My hydrangea bush only had one bloom this year.

+4
I am doing something wrong with my hydrangea bush. It only had one bloom this year. Last year it did not bloom at all. I prune it in early winter/late fall and in the early spring I fertilize it using good plant food to no avail. I live in the south and the temperatures are mild in the spring and hot summer and the winters are pretty mild.

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Dec 02, 2017
    I know everyone around my area cuts their hydrangea way back at the end of summer. In spring they grow back and then some and usually have lots of blossoms! If you’re not cutting them back that might be the problem? Also your soil can be a issue too! If I remember correctly they need a acidic soil. We put old coffee grounds around our hydrangeas too! Soil also should drain well too, they don’t like standing water! They can be tricky to get established, soil conditions is everything! I always dig a nice size ditch where I’m going to plant anything and add good garden soil around all my plants and add bark nuggets on top for looks and to retain moisture for summer or droughts! If you have troubles with moles, voles, or gofers, be sure to get some repellant to put at the bottom of your plant and around it before filling dirt back in. It can save your plants from these pesky creatures from killing your plants! Good luck
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 02, 2017
    How you trim them back depends on the type of hydrangea you have. Some bloom on new growth, some on old growth. Find out what kind you have, then look up how to trim them.
  • Sue Sue on Dec 02, 2017
    Research which type of hydrangea you have. Some can only be pruned after blooming; others can be cut back before blooming. After having no blooms on my new plant for the first 2 years, I did Google research and learned that I was basically cutting off the blooms that would have grown. I'm hoping to time my pruning correctly next year.
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 02, 2017
    Im confused too —in my situation the classic variety has not bloomed in two years, the newer hybrid that has a small white blossom a few feet away blooms profusely each and every year.

I have not done any pruning.
  • Ger27871176 Ger27871176 on Dec 02, 2017
    Feed every 4th watering and work the soil around the roots and that will fix your problem. Happy gardening
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 02, 2017
    Clay soil, which is prevalent in much of the south, may be packing the roots in like cement. Whether black or red clay, you may need to break it up to allow for good drainage and root growth. Add peat moss, new topsoil, and manure (denatured does not smell) to the soil. Your pruning schedule sounds good to me. Acid or alkali soil determines the color of the blooms. Check the roots to make sure they haven’t been eaten by insects, and the main “trunks” to make sure they are still alive. Best wishes 😇
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 02, 2017
    Sounds like you pruned incorrectly,and at the wrong time.What particular hydrangea is this