Is there a way to Refinish these pressed wood cabinets?

+3
A previous renter neglected the pressed wood cabinet doors and they have obviously been wet. Is there a way to refinish them inexpensively?
q refinish pressed wood cabinets
  • Christierei Christierei on Dec 02, 2017
    Is there water damage to the bottom of the door ? Does it seem to be splitting ?
  • Loretta Loretta on Dec 02, 2017
    Lightly sand & paint.
  • Susan Whalen Susan Whalen on Dec 02, 2017
    I scrubbed the loose varnish away and mixed a touch of matching stain. I sparingly covered the surface so I avoided overcoating the original stained area. It's unnoticeable now!
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 02, 2017
    The cabinet wouldn't have gotten water damaged if it had been protected with a poly top coat,
    I would start with sanding smooth, Fill with stainable Minwax wood filler if needed. Restain with a gel stain to hide the imperfections, and then add a nice poly top coat.
  • Ger27871176 Ger27871176 on Dec 02, 2017
    No scraping and painting is about it and if you need to add a little spackle to fill in were needed
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 02, 2017
    That looks a lot like flood damage. Are other baseboards and cabinet doors damaged like this? As you are sanding and staining the wood, extend the sealing under the doors and possibly up the back. The sink overrunning does not make this kind of damage. Best wishes 😇