Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Galvanized Metal Pails Turned Outdoor Winter Planters

$11

I was looking for something different this year for my winter outdoor planters, it seems every porch has the same generic pots from the local stores. I was inspired by a recent trip to my Dollar Store where I spotted small galvanized metal pails and snowflake garland in red and white. One hour later and I had beautiful unique planters.
galvanized metal pails turned outdoor winter planters
First step is to gather your supplies which is 3 pails and snowflake garland, and a hot glue gun.
Take one pail and the garland, wrap garland around middle of pail and cut. Take your glue gun and start gluing garland around middle of pail.
Follow same instructions and do the same to the two other pails.
Next step is to add your greenery. I added birch branches to the middle then added boughs of cedar, pine and red berries. I am fortunate because my mom lives in the country so I go there to cut my own boughs so it costs me nothing.
Here they are finished. I am so pleased at how they turned out!

• Sheila Strong

How do you keep all that cute stuff from blowing away? I can't put a lot of things on my front porch because the wind blows them over or away!
    • Grandma jean

We live in Fargo, ND. Windier than Chicago! Rocks. Container plants blow away all year. So load the bottom with small rocks and trim out the dirt on top with larger rocks.
  • Gina E. Gonzalez

love the idea. I live in Calif. how do you keep greenery looking fresh? water a bit? thx
    gina g
  • Alicia

what is the size of the planter? Would love to try this. Alicia