How to Use Vintage Enamelware For Outdoor Planting

$20

Planting with Vintage enamelware outdoors is a great way to brighten up a space. Get these ideas and tips.
vintage white enamel for outdoor planting
If you enjoy browsing through antique stores at some point you've probably come across vintage enamelware.

These white containers with colored trim add character to the garden and look pretty filled with potted plants.

Shop yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores for better pricing options as antique stores will be more expensive almost always.

I like to stay away from planting directly in these pots because they rust and it's difficult to maintain moisture.

If this isn't a concern then fill the bottom of the container with lava rocks to keep the soil from getting water logged and remember do not over water.

When rainy days arrive pull those planters indoors to keep from getting over watered.
You can use a variety of potted plants that are seasonal to spruce up a planting space. Stock is one of my favorites for early spring because it spells like spice.
  • Pansies and mums are hardy plants and great choices because they thrive in containers even if they're planted directly.
  • With smaller plants purchased in packs, transplant with potting soil into larger plastic pots and set them inside the enamelware.
  • When you water make sure to remove the excess water inside and enjoy. This step isn't necessary but will keep containers from rusting.
  • I like how the plants pop off that white, it offers a clean appearance which can really brighten up a space.

In closing think about adding some vintage enamelware to your garden space for any season but don't skip fall because those plant combinations are a lot of fun.

Prices will vary for this project so I shared more of a quote.... I've purchased pots anywhere from $5 to $20 each. Click here for more pictures

• Enamelware  (Thrift shopping)
  • Plants  (Nurseries)

Garden Up Green - Carole

• Lizabeth Graves Ault

Should I drill holes in the bottom? I cannot move this plants around if it rains.

• Garden Up Green - Carole

I filled mine with rocks in the bottom to help with drainage for direct planting. You could also plant in plastic containers and just set them inside so when it rains just empty out the additional water.

• Anna Ibarra

This is just so cute. OMG! This give me my inspirations to get mine out. I bought one years ago at a flea market for $5 thinking I would use to make tamales. I don't know what I was thinking, cause I hate cooking, and tamale making is such a loooooonnnnngggg process. It'll be in better use as a pot for a plant. -D

• New Moon Vintage

This looks so good!! Love it. Great Job and idea.