Cardboard Shoe Box Becomes a High-end PlayStation Storage Box

$4

TUTORIAL TEAM CHALLENGE : Cardboard creation

Last week, I bought smoked salmon from a friend and he delivered it in a shoe box! The box was nice and sturdy so I decided to use it for our weekly tutorial team challenge.

I always try to find ways to organize stuff, especially kids stuff. They play PlayStation and game boxes and controllers are everywhere in our living room. The cardboard shoe box will have a new purpose : store PlayStation items
With my miter saw, I cut the shingles in small pieces, about 1 1/2" long for the top, and cut the shingles for the sides and the back at the box measurements.
Starting to glue the shingles on the box. I tried to use different heights to give a 3D effect.
I spray painted the box (inside and outside) with Rustoleum bronze.
I gently applied black paint with a dry brush, to accentuate the 3D effect, and I sealed everything with a Varathane water based spray varnish.
Voilà ! A quick and easy project with a cardboard shoe box. I am using it to store PlayStation items, but it could be a lot of things... Such as a jewelry box, a tea box, a souvenir box... You choose its purpose for your own needs!
Jewelry box...
Tea box ! Or...? What would you use it for?
It was my first attempt and I am happy with the end result, but I know I would do things differently if (when!) I'll do it again. Stay tuned for a better version of this project.

• Barbara Jilek-Belmar

Great job, I have some nice shoe boxes and now I have a idea what to do. 🙂
  • Jude

I am always trying to find different ideas to "wrap" presents for my grandkids and you knocked this outta the park! My daughter-in-law loves baskets, pretty storage containers and this is PERFECT! Sorry for the yelling affect but what an awesome idea! I had a horrific motorcycle accident about 15 years ago and this is the first thing I've seen that got me excited about crafting again. You have no idea what you have done for me. Thank you!