Poured Wax and Spices Christmas Ornament

$20

As part of the 2017 Ornament Exchange, I choose to make a wax ornament decorated with spices, berries and evergreens from my yard. This project was super easy and because you make these in batches, it was fun to experiment adding the decorations in differently. I love that this ornament uses natural elements, but I even added in small decorative snowflakes I had purchased from Michaels, so there are so many looks you could create!
These are some of my finished ornaments. I made them in batches of six so and I did two batches. So, I was able to create twelve ornaments easily.
The ingredients needed for this project are...
Any style of silicone candy mold you like. I choose round molds but there are holiday theme molds that would be nice to use, wax bricks or pellets, wood stirrer, empty soup can with label removed, an assortment of decorative elements such as evergreens, star anise, cloves and dried cranberries.
After cutting my wax into smaller pieces, I added into the empty soup can.
I then melted the wax using a double boiler method. I filled a smaller saucepan with about two inches of water and sat my can in middle. I brought the water to a simmer. Stir your wax of and on at this point until it all melts, about 20 minutes.
While I was melting my wax, I began to add ingredients to the molds. I experimented a lot with this step. I found the wax becomes very opaque when dry so you can visually loose your decorations, so... I found what was best was adding an some decorations in first that would give a little interest to the back. Then I poured in wax 3/4 way.
Next, I added more elements on top of the wax and let some stick out. I then drizzled more wax to secure the elements but I did not completely cover.
After poking a whole with a warm metal skew, I added twine and boxed them up for a gift!

Debbie

• Mysti

What kind of wax did you use, & where did you buy it?
    • Debbie

Mysti, Nadine was correct I used a paraffin wax and there is a link on my website for the product. In the future, I would try a soy based wax and probably in pellet form. You can find this on amazon.

• Patty Anderson

Lovely! Question- I have essential oils, did you use any in your creations? And, can you smell the cloves and star anise? They look beautiful!
  • Kay

Perhaps an addition of cranberries for a bit of color?
    • MaryAnn

Yes I do. We used it to cap jellies, jams, and preserves back in the day.Now a days they need water bath canning in canning jars. But none of us ever got sick from them.