Karen
Karen
  • Buckhannon, WV

Old Chairs-new Life

We were given 6 of these chairs. They just needed a makeover.
old chairs new life, painted furniture
They were beat up, needed glue and screws for stability and a new look (because they were ugly).
old chairs new life, painted furniture
I tried sanding them. A complete fail. I tried a heat gun which was another fail. So I stripped them with nontoxic Super Strip from Lowes ($3.00). I found that after applying the stripper it was much easier to let the stuff set for 5 minutes or so and then 'washed' it off using water and a plastic dish scrubber. Water raised the grain a bit so I lightly sanded them.
old chairs new life, painted furniture
I stained the seats with a black walnut. It allowed some of the grain to show through. I painted everything else with a paint called Lincolns Cabin also from Lowes. These are my "new" kitchen chairs. They will go with a table we have yet to build from 40 year old reclaimed wood that was part of an old out building.
old chairs new life, painted furniture
I decided they needed seat cushions. They are made from 2 inch foam covered with white material (old bed sheet) then I just crocheted around it. They actually machine wash really well. The dark blue pillow behind the chair is the dog bed for the dog who suppose to be a totally outside dog.....never happened (grin)

• Guy Crease

Did you dye the pillow covers? Your old white bed sheet looks more blue than white to me

• Vicky Franks

Love reusing things. We had become a throw a way generation and NOW we see everyone using their talents to upcycle. Love the chairs and the fact that we are free to make things the way WE want the and not please everyone else. Good JOB>

• Gilda Marconi

Just found this site and already I'm addicted.