Spring Flower Inspiration

Spring Fever has hit me hard this past week, but since the snow hasn't melted in Minnesota just yet, all I can do is dream of what my flowers will look like. Here are a few ideas that I used last summer for flower displays. I love reusing old farm stuff in my house and on my patio!
Old Chicken Feeder
Old Chicken Feeder
I used several of these old chicken feeders last summer. I put smaller ones on top of my deck railing and packed them with flowers. {I drilled a couple holes in the bottom of the feeders so that there was adequate drainage}
Old Chicken Feeder
Old Chicken Feeder
I also used some much larger feeders as well. I filled them with wave petunias and by the time summer was half over the petunias had grown so large that you could hardly see the feeder--it was stunning!
Chicken Nesting Box
Chicken Nesting Box
This nesting box and the reclaimed wood was rescued from a pile of junk. It was in really rough shape so my husband straightened it out and used the wood to create a new roof and ledges.
Chicken Nesting Box
Chicken Nesting Box
I used this nesting box on my patio as a focal point of my display. I planted each individual pot with plants that would trail out nicely. Since the roof lifts off easily, watering was super easy.
Chicken Nesting Box
Chicken Nesting Box
And finally, I wanted to protect the wood from the elements, so I gave it a coat of clear poly...WOW did it really pop the grain of the wood! I just love it!

To see more: http://www.urbanpatina.blogspot.com

• Sandy Reed

What were the flowers used in the nesting box? They are beautiful!

• Crystal @ Urban Patina

Hi Sandy, I don’t really remember anymore now. I put this nesting box in a shady spot though so I know they were not a full sun variety.

• Sandy

This gives me an idea to plant something between the back steps. I'd love some ideas.

• Sandy Reed

Thanks, I'll show the picture to a garden center or florist, maybe they can identify them. I just love those flowers!!!