Asked on Dec 5, 2017

Is it better to built your small cabin or buy the shell ?

MogieUncommonsensescSandra Allen
+7

is it better to built your own small cabin or buy the shell such as Derksen cabins and complete the inside yourself ?

• Ann Cherkas Halstead
    Ann Cherkas Halstead

depends on your skills as a builder.
  • Mogie
    Mogie

We would build it ourselves but we have built several small buildings. Don't tackle unless you have building experience. Have you done anything like this before?
  • Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

Buying the shell is more expensive but you save time. Doing it yourself is cheaper but unless you are very good at carpentry, you might end up with more money spent to fix than to build. Have you thought of the good old "pro and con" list? Which ever one is longer you go with the other.

I would look into this and go from there. Hope it helps.

• Uncommonsensesc
    Uncommonsensesc

I don't know as if either way is better than the other - it would just be what your budget is and what fits your needs. Do you have the skills and time to build a cabin? Do you have the money to buy the shell and take it from there (as I've gotten older, I'd buy the shell but that is just me)? Is there a special occasion you want the cabin for that if you build it yourself, you'll miss the occasion? Can you find a premade shell that you really like? If you're not experienced with all facets of the construction, be sure to figure in the learning curve if time is a factor. There's a lot of things that you need to look at and figure in - make a list of pros and cons for each one. When he was younger my husband built a cabin with his father. They used lumber from their land, stripped the trees, cut everything using hand tools (meaning labor intensive non-powered other than human power), used rocks for the fireplace from the land - you get the idea. It's a great cabin, great size (20 x 30) - has enough room for a full size bed, a table and chairs, 2 recliners, a wood box and other things like a dresser, bookcase. It has an attic (that needs insulation) and has some other things that need to be changed/fixed but overall it's a great cabin! Good luck, take lots of pictures and make it an experience you can look back on with good memories!
    • Cpb11730417
      Cpb11730417

Thank you for your input , shell would have to be for me . My family have the basic knowledge to finish out .
  • Mogie
    Mogie

If you don't have any experience doing this consider a pre-built structure.
  • Mogie
    Mogie

Good luck!