Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

How to Make a Mason Jar Mold

$25

Ever wish you had a way to make a mold of your favorite things? Say... a mason jar? I've combined 3 ingredient to make these one of a kind mold you can use for anything! Here's how to make them:
Please note - do NOT use this DIY to make molds used for food or items you will ingest.
how to make a mason jar mold
First, combine water and dish soap. I used a 1:10 ratio, favoring dish soap.
how to make a mason jar mold
Next, squeeze a tube of 100% silicone caulk into the bowl. I had to get every ounce of this out of the tube to be able to have enough for my mold.
how to make a mason jar mold
Then mix together the silicone until it becomes less sticky. This took about 5 minutes. Be sure to wear a glove as this is NOT chemical free. If you choose to not use a glove, you may experience a chemical reaction on your skin.
how to make a mason jar mold
Once your silicone is less sticky, grab a smaller container (that you are willing to part with) and transfer the silicone over. Be sure to get most of the water off before transferring it.
how to make a mason jar mold
Grab your positive (the object you'd like to make your mold out of) and place it into the silicone, pushing down to get it stuck. Let this dry in a safe spot for a few hours until totally dry and solid.
how to make a mason jar mold
When the mold is hardened, pull the positive from the mold. It may be suctioned so be careful not to pull to hard. Now, you're ready to start using it!
how to make a mason jar mold
First. I decided to make wax melts. You can find a tutorial here on how to make them: https://www.hometalk.com/27372627/essential-oil-melts
how to make a mason jar mold
They came out so cute and such a good gift!
how to make a mason jar mold
I also made cute hand soaps!
how to make a mason jar mold
And an amazing tie-dye crayon! The possibilities are seriously endless. Once the mold is made, you can use it over and over again. Not to mention, these are PERFECT for stocking stuffers.

• The21818839

Is the silcone a hard or soft substance when you use it as a mold? Also, will you help me out with your ratio. Do you mean 10 parts soap to 1 part water? Thanks.

• Cory

I think you have a potentially serious hazard here. You show using microwaves and ovens that you do not make a statement about not using a device as these that are also used for food purposes! Either you are not experienced enough or ...what?

• Dan Johnson

There is not one mention of microwaves or ovens on here by the artist. Where did you get That idea? She never once mentions using either.

• Kate Jarvis

Do I cover the entire jar with the silicone mixture?

• Jeannie Carle

I HAVE to try this! Maybe a Mason Jar - maybe something else - but this just looks like too much fun to not try!

• Nora

Toooo cute.I will try this!