Alchemy Home
Alchemy Home
  • Alexandria, VA

Art Deco Nightstands Makeover

This pair of Art Deco nightstands were in need of some serious help. 80 years of use had taken quite a toll on them, so after a few repairs, a little chalk paint, and some distressing they turned out stunning!
art deco nightstands makeover, chalk paint, painted furniture
I picked up these two Art Deco Nightstands while out thrifting one weekend, and new that they had lots of potential! I'm in love with Art Deco era designs and styles, so I had to grab them up. I listed them in my Etsy shop: http://www.furniturealchemy.etsy.com and sold them as a custom painted order a few weeks later!
We started off by making a few repairs to the legs with some wood glue, and then put two coats of a custom blended shade of charcoal grey chalk paint on. The insides of the drawers and cabinet were painted in a Robins egg blue color, and we did the hardware in an oil rubbed bronze.
The client wanted them to have a more authentic, worn, look...so we distressed around all of the edges with some steel wool and finished it off with two coats of General Finishes High Performance flat polyacrylic.
We adore the finished product (and so did our client)! You can find more of our projects on our website at: http://www.furniturealchemy.net

Alchemy Home

• Marion Nesbitt

Paint hides the grain and interesting inlays. I have one similar. Got out the fine steel wool, stain, and oil to bring it back to life.

• Diana Deiley

Love the Art Deco pieces. I appreciate both sides.......paint / stain, so I'd have a problem trying to decide which way to go. Thanks for sharing.