Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Repurposing a Terrarium for Christmas Decor

$30

One of my favorite things to do is repurpose something for a new unintended use. I was shopping, when I saw this plant terrarium in Marshall’s. To justify buying it in the middle of winter, I needed to come up with an alternate use. On my way to the checkout, TWO people stopped me and asked what it was used for. I told that it was a small plant terrarium but I was going to put Christmas ornaments in it.

repurposing a terrarium for christmas decor
I couldn’t believe my luck while out Christmas shopping that I spotted several at Marshall’s. I decided that since it wasn’t spring yet, I would fill it with Christmas ornaments.
I used some ornaments that I had and realized how much room there was so I needed to back to the Dollar Tree and get some more super sized ornaments.
I had picked up craft letters at Walmart that spelled “joy“ and decided to add them to the terrarium. I couldn’t decide on what color to paint them so I turned to the discussion section of Hometalk. I got a lot of great suggestions there. You can find it under Discussions on my profile page.
Originally, I was going to hang the “joy“ garland fashion from the table.
First, I painted them all black then I decided that I rather liked the “o” white.
I painted it white and distressed it.I hope Santa brings me more sanding sponges. This one is on its last legs.
I attached the letters with bits of ribbon. I might put them on the tree someday, as well.
I added a strand of battery operated led lights.
Still playing around with the decor... I have no idea what it will end up looking like this Christmas.
Happy Holidays! 🎄
Nighttime shot...

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:27 AM - More info

1 question on this project
  • Wow that's I said super creative.i have a question for you....hopefully you are more creative than me which I think you might be able to help me out w a general idea...I own a pet store and an redoing the floors this week and hoping to come across some new shelving for the pet Store supply business my dad runs.We do birds in particular.What would you think as a shelving idea that may be unique yet useable?

• Stacy Davis
      Dec 12, 2017

Thank you! Shelves made with black piping are really popular right now and I love crate shelves. As my projects show... I think an antique dresser topped with crates for open storage and display would be a unique idea. And how cool would it be to have the crates in a pyramid formation on the dresser.