Alyssia
Alyssia
  • Gainesville, VA
Asked on Dec 6, 2017

Is it difficult to whitewash brick? Please see photos

Imc22382836Imc22382836Eli31511828
+10

q is it difficult to whitewash brick please see photos
  • Sal16079439

I am so leery of doing anything to my brick fireplace, paint wise, as I know there's no going back.

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown

never done it myself, but HAve seen several posts showing it done...doesn’t look any more difficult difficult than painting a wall

• Kathy

I just completed whitewashing my fireplace and it looks better than I ever thought it would! It looks so clean and fresh and opens up the room. It's easy to do. Mix white ceiling paint (leftover) and water, about half and half. Brush it on, wipe off til you achieve the look you want. I used both a wet rag and dry rag for wiping. It took about 2 hours for a BIG fireplace and hearth.

• Rpe7842277

your bricks are such a pretty color. Are you sure you want to paint? I'd put a more impressive mantle up, remove the metal grids as they detract from focal point of mantle.

• Cindy Hagemann

So easy to do - I have done five of them and love them all! Here's the latest one that I did using Waverly brand chalk paint ($6 a bottle - used 2 of them) from Walmart (craft department). Use a medium sized brush and paint all of the mortar lines first and then a very stiff brush to dab each brick individually. It goes very fast once you start and makes such a difference in updating your room.

• Schwarzy

I just did mine and I love it. It's not hard, just a bit time consuming.

• John Grimley

It is no more difficult than applying paint to any wall.
    HOWEVER.
    Be warned, once painted, it is really difficult to remove since the paint finds its way into every nook and cranny. Whilst you might think the end result looks great, it's not to everyone's taste & this may put off potential buyers in the future

• Kal21880830

My advice after extensive experience doing this is to start with less than 50/50 mix water to paint, more like 80% water/20% paint. You can always do a second coat if you want more coverage but can't go back. I used a bucket and an old t-shirt and wrung it out before applying to the brick. Make sure you tape off anything you don't want painted (use the green painters tape to insure a crisp line with no bleeding under the tape).

• Eli31511828

We white washed our brick and the transformation was amazing. Brightened the whole space. Love it.

• Imc22382836

I agree. I would leave the beautiful brick. It's elegant and rich looking. I look at paint as a quick cover up for a problem and quick resolve. I'd try different accessories for a new look. Don't have any idea then turn to various magazines. You can visually see before buying anything.

• Imc22382836

B I U ☺️