We've designed and created alternative Christmas trees for the last couple of years as we like the look and the creative challenge. We set out to create something new for Steph's house. I don't remember if Steph had an idea, but if she did, I ignored it and lobbied for MY idea.
A few years ago I saw a basic wood tree in a mall window display. It had shelves for merchandise but it was basically a tall skinny wood triangle. We decided to create our own version of the display tree.
Ours would have no shelves and would be supported by a concrete base. I really liked the concrete bases we made for Steph's nightstand and thought it would be a great idea to hold the tree up. Also, we designed the tree so that it could easily be taken apart for storage.
Take a look at how it all came together!
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $30 Difficulty: Easy
Watch the video!
Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter here!
The first step was to lay the 2x4s on the floor to determine the length and width. We marked the cut lines. The two tall pieces are 6 feet and the bottom board is 26.5".
All the cuts were made on the miter saw.
We sanded and stained all the boards. I like to use an old t-shirt to apply and wipe off the stain.
A hinge was used at the top so the tree can fold for storage.
We used a hole saw to drill a hole in the center of the bottom board.
Since we wanted to be able to remove the bottom piece for storage, we decided to use lag screws which can be easily removed. Steph drilled pilot holes, then used a countersink bit and then drove in the screws. It was very helpful to clamp our workpiece in place before trying to put in the screws.
For details on making the concrete base please visit our website or watch the video above.
Two different types of lights were wound around the tree. The larger lights are App lights from The Home Depot. They are controllable via an app. We also used two strands of plug-in fairy lights. The App lights went on first and then fairy lights followed the same pattern as the App lights. We finished with about 25 clear plastic balls and topped the tree with a star.
We've said it before, but it is such a cool feeling to have an idea and then to see it become a reality. I had sketched a rough idea of this tree and then forgot about the drawing until we were finished. The finished tree came together as envisioned in my very primitive drawing!
We like the simplicity of this tree and the features that make it collapsible and easy to store. The App lights are great as the color scheme can be changed with the touch of a button!
Closeup of the metal star. The creases in the star were made with a chisel and hammer to give it dimension.