DIY Modern 2x4 Christmas Tree

$30

We've designed and created alternative Christmas trees for the last couple of years as we like the look and the creative challenge. We set out to create something new for Steph's house. I don't remember if Steph had an idea, but if she did, I ignored it and lobbied for MY idea.

A few years ago I saw a basic wood tree in a mall window display. It had shelves for merchandise but it was basically a tall skinny

Watch the video!

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter  here!
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
The first step was to lay the 2x4s on the floor to determine the length and width. We marked the cut lines. The two tall pieces are 6 feet and the bottom board is 26.5".
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
All the cuts were made on the miter saw.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
We sanded and stained all the boards. I like to use an old t-shirt to apply and wipe off the stain.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
A hinge was used at the top so the tree can fold for storage.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
We used a hole saw to drill a hole in the center of the bottom board.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
Since we wanted to be able to remove the bottom piece for storage, we decided to use lag screws which can be easily removed. Steph drilled pilot holes, then used a countersink bit and then drove in the screws. It was very helpful to clamp our workpiece in place before trying to put in the screws.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
For details on making the concrete base please visit our website or watch the video above.
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
Two different types of lights were wound around the tree. The larger lights are App lights from The Home Depot. They are controllable via an app. We also used two strands of plug-in fairy lights. The App lights went on first and then fairy lights followed the same pattern as the App lights. We finished with about 25 clear plastic balls and topped the tree with a star.  
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
We've said it before, but it is such a cool feeling to have an idea and then to see it become a reality. I had sketched a rough idea of this tree and then forgot about the drawing until we were finished. The finished tree came together as envisioned in my very primitive drawing! 

We like the simplicity of this tree and the features that make it collapsible and easy to store. The App lights are great as the color scheme can be changed with the touch of a button! 
diy modern 2x4 christmas tree
Closeup of the metal star. The creases in the star were made with a chisel and hammer to give it dimension.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:27 AM - More info
Mother Daughter Projects