Pleasse help! I'm trying to winter a mandivilla plant.

+3
Each spring/summer I purchase mandivilla plants at significant costs. I have tried wintering in past with no success.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 06, 2017
    the mandevilla is a tropical plant. It cannot withstand any cold weather. If you've planted it, cut it down to 2-3 ft., put chicken wire around it and build up mulch as high as you can around it. Cover all that with plastic (don't let the plastic touch the plant) and secure down with bricks or rocks. Remove once a month and water. Cover back up. In the spring spread out the mulch. If it's in a pot, keep it in a warm spot and use grow lights. Tropicals can be labor intensive, but worth it.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 06, 2017
    Ask your question to. https//:ask.extension.org. they will respond for your grow zone... Most are treated as annuals.. Good luck!
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 06, 2017
    Mandevilla can be overwintered indoors but needs specific care as this source recommends below. Additionally another consideration-you want to be sure you dont bring insects indoors.

”You can just grow it like a regular plant inside or you can cut it back to just 8 to 10 inches and pot it up. Move the pot to a cool, dim area where temperatures average 55 to 60 F. (13 to 15 C.). Cut watering in half during the dormant period and remove spent leaves and dead plant material in spring. The indoor mandevilla plant needs to remain fairly dry to prevent rot. Keep the indoor mandevilla plant moderately dry over the winter and with a little luck you will see sprouts in spring. Move the pot to a sunny location and pinch the shoots to force bushier growth. Start fertilizing every two weeks with a high phosphorus plant food.
    Read more at Gardening Know How: Growing Mandevilla Vine Indoors: Caring For Mandevilla As A Houseplant “

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 06, 2017
    Hello. I have tried for a few years. I would bring them in and treat it as a house plant. By the time spring came I would lose it. This year I am trying something different for it to go more dormant. I cut it back to about 3-4 inches high. I then put it in the basement where a little light comes in. I only water it every 3 weeks. It is losing its leaves which it is supposed to when it goes dormant. In spring I will bring it upstairs into more light and water it every other day and fertilize once a week. Worth a try. I do this with my Hibiscus and it works great.
  • LD LD on Dec 06, 2017
    I had a similar problem and this is what I found just doing research. I'm including the link [at bottom] for you in case you wanted to now more. Hope this helps.

How to Overwinter Mandevilla as a Houseplant: Bring a potted mandevilla plant indoors before the mercury drops below 60 degrees F. (15 C.) and grow it as a houseplant until temperatures rise in spring. Trim the plant to a manageable size and put it where it gets plenty of bright sunlight. Room temperatures are fine. Water the plant every week and trim as needed to maintain the desired size and shape. Don’t expect blooms; the plant isn’t likely to bloom during the winter.

Winterizing Mandevillas: If you’re short on bright light or space, you can bring the mandevilla indoors and store it in a dormant state. Put the plant in the sink and drench the soil thoroughly to wash out pests that may be lurking in the potting mix, then cut it back to about 10 inches. If you don’t want to trim it back, you may notice yellowing with subsequent leaf drop – this is normal. Place the plant in a sunny room where temperatures are between 55 and 60 degrees F. (12-15 C.). Water sparingly throughout the winter, providing only enough moisture to keep the potting mix from becoming bone dry. When you see early spring growth indicating the plant is breaking dormancy, move the mandevilla to a warm, sunny room and resume normal watering and fertilization. Either way you decide to winter your mandevilla, don’t move it back outdoors until temperatures are consistently above 60 degrees F. (15 C.). This is also a good time to move the plant to a slightly larger pot with fresh potting mix.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Winterizing Mandevillas: Tips For Overwintering A Mandevilla Vine https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/mandevilla/winterizing-mandevillas.htm