Asked on Dec 6, 2017

Help with Goodwill purchase

Theresa MuellerMichelleRo
+14

I found these metal/tin Christmas decorative squares at my local Goodwill. Yes, i just had to have them! Now that I do, I'm not sure exactly what or how I should display them.
Together or separately, add embellishments or leave as is. If leave as is, again, how to display?
Any thoughts, ideas, or help would be so appreciative.
Tina

Each have a raised design and include a hanger on the backside. Size for each: heigth is 11.5in. and length is 11in.
  • Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could distress them with a whitewash to bring out the details more and you could add a dab of glue to use ribbons to hang them as ornaments or decorations
    • Sidney Rippy McLaughlin
      Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

Of all the ideas, this is my favorite. They are just great, but the dark speckled finish makes the pretty designs hard to see. Painting them white or silver... something that is light, then distressing them would really bring out the pattern.
      I also like the idea of hanging them with ribbon. There are a lot of great display ideas in this thread.
      Please post a picture when you get them finished!

• Amanda
    Amanda

Hello. I would attach them to a pretty ribbon in a start line and hang them up.
  • FL
    FL

How fun! metal means they can go outside, right? You can paint them a rust proof copper then add that greenish patina to them to make them look old and beautiful! Then place (hang) on your house by the front door, from a tree branch (suspended with two metal chain sections), leaning against the house on a porch, you can fit three panels with the letters J-O-Y between! Lucky find, lucky buy!
  • 27524803
    27524803

What size are they?? That would determine how you could display them,
    group together in one large frame (no glass) on a nice foam core mat covered with beautiful gift wrap.. or frame individually (again, no glass) and group on one wall or on your mantle.
    There are wax gilding pastes that are made to be hand wiped on things like picture frames or detailed embellishments (like curlicues on furniture, etc) in colors like silver, pewter, gold, antique gold, and copper... "Rub and Buff" (Michael's) and Baroque Art Guilders Paste (Joann's) are just 2 that I found in a google search.. You could use one or more colors to highlight the raised parts of the designs, edges or parts of the frames (even on an embossed wall paper or wrapping paper). I can see the deer done in antique gold with silver or bright gold antlers and hoofs... the snow flake in silver and gold and the snowman in silver with an antique gold hat and the tree in gold with silver touches... but do what ever will please YOU.
    I wish I had them ... they are unique
  • Gloria Arzadon
    Gloria Arzadon

Leave the color alone. Make an accent wall or Put them vertically by your front door joining them with a satan ribbon with a bell at the bottom. Horizontally they could go on the wall for you to string xmas cards from with class.
  • Inetia
    Inetia

You didn't mention how big they are but you could mount them to a shutter or an old reclaimed board for front porch greeting. Mount to the panes of an old window. Mount them on a narrow length of felt and hang on a door or on a narrow section of wall.
  • Bycjeanmaq
    Bycjeanmaq

I would leave them as is and get a nice complimentary plate stand and display them on table tops, bookshelves, etc.
  • Rachael Bruesch
    Rachael Bruesch

I would dry brush the figures only, so it highlights the shapes on the tin.
  • Gwen Morgan
    Gwen Morgan

Put each individual one in the center of a wreath and decorate the wreath in that theme (Snowman, Christmas Tree, etc.)
  • Ro
    Ro

i would us the tree and deer in dec and replace w snow flake and man in Jan
  • Michelle
    Michelle

What about creating a box with them and use as a center piece of they are small or the base of a Christmas plant if they are larger.
  • Theresa Mueller
    Theresa Mueller

My boyfriend has taken these metal squares, flipped them over, filled with cement, and made stepping stones. Turned out nice!
    ( I'm bet there's more prep, but I'm unsure what.).