Eclectic Red Barn
Eclectic Red Barn
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

Inexpensive Candy Garland

$5

Last year I shared how to make lollipops from pool noodles for my Christmas Decor. This year I decided to use more pool noodles to add to a candy garland for above my garage. Below is last years large lollipops.
inexpensive candy garland
For the candy garland, I would cut the size of the pool noodle down. So grab your pool noodle and a piece of PVC pipe and let's get started on items for the garland. No dogs required!
inexpensive candy garland
Step 1: I cut the pool noodle in half. This pool noodle was the smaller size one that you usually find for $1.
Then I slit the noodle half lengthwise and began to roll it into a circle. I glued the end using hot glue.
You can find all of the details on how I did this on my other post.
https://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com/2016/12/tutorial-for-making-christmas-lollipops.html
inexpensive candy garland
Step 2: I took the shrink wrap that you use for basket making and cut it in half. I wasn't sure if it would still shrink but it did. I took the hair dryer to it and it shrink beautifully. I twisted the ends and added some ribbon.
inexpensive candy garland
Step 3: Next I cut the PVC pipe into 6-8 lengths. You can make yours as long as you like. I wrapped it with tape to make off stripes and then painted it red. You could also use red tape if you have it.

The candy canes do not have a curve at the top, but when they are hung on the garland, they look fine.
inexpensive candy garland
Step 4: I also used a plastic container that had potato salad in it from the store for gum drops. I sprayed painted the inside with blue paint and once it was dried, I added Mod Podge on the outside an sprinkled it with blue glitter from Martha Stewart.

When that dried, I sprayed it with clear lacquer to seal it. I poked holes in the plastic container and ran a piece of wire through ti so I could adhere it to the garland.

inexpensive candy garland
Step 5: I had some clear plastic bulbs. I used green and red nail polish to color them. Add the nail polish to the inside and swirl around. Take the bulb and place it in a cup filled with a paper towel to absorb the excess. I left mine over night.
inexpensive candy garland
Step 6: I added the candies, gun drops and candy canes to my garland. Since it was to go over my garage door, I laid out the garland across the driveway and then placed the items on the garland.

I added some bows and so other decorations and then hung it up.
inexpensive candy garland
I did not add light to this garland but you could. I already had my lights up so just added this above them.
inexpensive candy garland
inexpensive candy garland
This garland did not cost me anything since I already had all of the items. However, the cost would be minimal since you could make use of items you had around your house,
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 06, 2018 10:47 PM - More info
Eclectic Red Barn