Upcycle an Old Table Top Into Unique Christmas Wall Art

$10

Whilst working on my a making my salvaged wood Christmas tree in my garden. I spotted a broken old round table in the corner.

Instead of taking this table to the dump I decided to rescue it and give it some love and turn it into the biggest Christmas decoration for my home. It can also be used as a cardholder.
upcycle an old table top into unique christmas wall art
For my transformation, the first thing I did was to sand down the table top with an orbital sander (like this one here). Lifes too short to sand big surface areas like this by hand.
The sanding got rid of all the dirt and grime and made the top all smooth.
To decorate the table top I didn't use paint but decided to decoupage with napkins.

I'm a big fan of the prints of Marimekko and I had a collection of there designs in paper napkins. I decided to use all the ones that were red and pink in colour as this would make the table top more festive.
The Marimekko napkins I had were 3ply. To decoupage, you only need the top printed ply. Therefore I separated out the napkins until I had just the top ply.
I applied decoupage glue to my table top and then placed the delicate napkin on top.

I then got a ball of screwed up cling film and used this to press down on the napkin. The cling film doesn't stick to the napkins so reduces the chance of it taring.
As I finished each section I covered the napkins with another layer of decoupage glue which acted as a varnish.

I carried on using a different napkin pattern for each strip of wood until the whole table was covered.
Then using a sanding block, I sanded off any excess napkins that were overhanging the edges.
I then hung the table on the wall in my dining room as I felt it went really well with my very popular upcycled Curios cupboard (click here to see it). However, I'm tempted to hang it above my mantle.
The Christmas table top can also be used a Christmas card holder and when I'm fed up with it on the wall I can just add some hairpin legs and have it as a table again.

I think it would make a lovely Christmas coffee table as well as a wall hanging.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Rick Kale

this idea would be very cool on a rectangular outdoor table as well for those who may not have a wall that big to hang it on with a rectangular table one may be able to prop it up in a corner, or perhaps an entry hall or foyer!! Being completely customizable really makes it versatile fo just about any occasion even as a back drop... Coordination of colors to match your homes decor, you could possibly leave it propped up in the corner year round as a conversation piece!!!

• Bobbi Taylor-Moore

BEAUTIFUL! Very festive and brightens up the room for Christmas but it's so pretty I would not want to take it down. Good job.