Melissa Osborne
Melissa Osborne
  • Louisville, KY

Painted Ceiling Fan = Instant Drama!

$6

I've had this idea to paint my ceiling fan for a while. My flooring is an oak looking pergo. Yuck! But I'm stuck it with it for the time being. The ceiling fan blades match the flooring and that I can do something about. So I had my hubby take it down and the project begins. See below for what I learned about painting ceiling fans and step by step instructions.

BE SURE TO JOIN US LIVE ON HOMETALK ON 12/15/17 at 8pm to see us do this project live. On our live we'll actually be painting the entire ceiling fan, as well as a light fixture. Is there anything you can't update with a little paint? I haven't found anything yet.

SPECIAL PROMO: 25% off all All In One Paint on Amazon and on www.allinonepaint.com. No coupon required. Excludes all other categories. Free worldwide shipping $75. We also have 8 colors of All In One Paint + Chalk Brushes + Weathered Wood Antiquing Gel available on Amazon Prime with FREE 2 day shipping. There's still time to get those projects done before Christmas. Promo runs: 5pm PST on 12/15/17 thru 11:59pm PST on 12/17/17.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
This is what I'm starting with. The mechanics part of the fan is a beautiful steel gray. I love that part but I'm hating on the oak fan blades. The oak must go! I'm going to use my trusty All In One Chalk Style Paint because it doesn't require sanding, stripping or TOPCOAT! Its a one step chalk paint and I love keeping it easy. For this project I'm choosing Cathedral because its a steel gray and I think it'll be pretty close to the fan base.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
Let's talk prep for a minute. Very little is required with this paint which is another reason why I choose it for most of my projects. I got my super sweet hubby to take the fan blades down for me after getting home from a 3 day business trip. He wasn't thrilled about it, but he knew how far up a ladder a shorty like me would have to go and as clumsy as I am, that is just a disaster waiting to happen. He's apparently not with me for my life insurance or he'd let me go up the ladder! Each blade was attached with 3 screws so aside from the height its not a big deal to get the blades off and put them back on.

I immediately learned two things.

1. Fan blades are reversible. Atleast mine were. They had oak on one side and mahogany on the other. Did y'all know this?! I don't want either color so painting is still necessary.

2. Fan blades are gross! Especially the side facing the ceiling. It was seriously sticky from all the grease and oils that float in our air. This is why giving your piece a good thorough cleaning before hand is critical to a good paint finish. I cleaned with TSP and let it soak a bit until it didn't feel sticky any longer.

Yes, I'm showing you a picture of the dirt and grime. Don't judge. This thing is 12ft in the air and I'm 5'2".
painted ceiling fan instant drama
I poured out a little bit of my Cathedral AIO Paint to each fan blade and used my handy dandy True Applicator to swipe it on each blade. Don't forget the edges. If your fan is low hanging, I would recommend painting both sides. This paint typically takes two coats, be sure to allow plenty of dry time between.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
After coat 1. This is still wet so the shine will dull to a beautiful, low luster, matte sheen. But look at that coverage with the Cathedral. It was one coat with a few touch up spots.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
Close up of this gorgeous finish. This is just paint. Nothing else! I used about 2 ounces of paint to do 5 fan blades.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
Now it's Brian's turn to put the blades back on the fan for me. He's such a good husband and indulges me in my DIY Projects. It seriously took him longer to put them up than it did for me to paint them. I had maybe 10 mins of hands on time for cleaning and painting. Super EASY!
painted ceiling fan instant drama
Finished Fan at night.
painted ceiling fan instant drama
Finished Fan in the day. Ignore those golden brown walls. Those are next to go if the painter ever comes. I'm over the moon with how it came out. It was exactly what I envisioned. Dramatic! The fan looks larger and more expensive now too which is always a bonus.

I've put links below to other colors I think would make good choices for painting your own fan. All of these colors can arrive to you within 2 days if you're an Amazon Prime member! What color would you choose?

To see more: https://www.allinonepaint.com

• Patty Anderson

Well done, and kudo's to your other half for doing the ladder work! I must admit, I felt like you folk were good people, when I saw that the only framed photo on your wall was a picture of your dog.....am I right?
    • Melissa Osborne

It is the only one in our living room. That is our first furbaby, Frisbee, that passed away a few years ago at the age of 13. My hubby had that piece commissioned by one of his friend's Ben Hucke. It's all done with tiny lines in pencil. I should say, I do have pictures of my son in other places in the home. :)
  • Linda Kimmons

Mine r white all over what color can I paint to give them that wow factor
    • Melissa Osborne

Absolutely! The white fans are typically plastic, so just be sure to clean it thoroughly to remove all surface oils and allow extra dry time with plastic.
  • Linda Jorgensen

faux painting fans what about gloss clear painting make the gloss clear? what do you think is helpful?

• Melissa Osborne

You can. But with All In One Paint you don't need one for durability. Only if you're wanting to make it glossier. The matte finish shows less dust honestly which I'm all about.

• Vicky Corey

Melissa I was over half way reading your post when it hit me I had already read it. Lol I kept going anyway. I did see something I didn't notice the last time about using teal in a room. I would sure love to see that when you're finished! I love bold colors. Your ceiling fan looks great!
  • Gail Novak Phelps

Had my popcorn ceiling skimmed and it was time to paint the fan blades. I took them down and sprayed them flat black and it also allowed the guys to finish the ceiling. Thanks for the idea!