Red Jewelry Cabinet - a Thrift Store Makeover

$20
1 Day

Here's what this old jewelry cabinet looked like when I found it at Goodwill... not the prettiest in the world, but in good condition.

red jewelry cabinet a thrift store makeover
I had a couple of friends over on that painting day.  One of them gave this the first coat for me.  I have to say that when I first saw it I hated it!  WAY too bright for me.  What do you think?
(Click over to my website for a complete list of supplies.)   Well, I was ready to throw it out but my other friend talked me into going on.  She gave it another coat.  After she left and the paint was dry I decided to give it a bit more character by stenciling the sides of the drawers.  Then I aged it a bit by adding some burnt umber paint to the finish I was going to use.
This is the first time I used Triple Thick Gloss Glaze.  It lived up to it’s name… it’s THICK.  And it gave the project a super hard shiny coat. Here’s what the stencil looked like on the back.
Now what do you think?
Jewelry cabinets and boxes are my favorite things to find at thrift stores. I have LOTS more over on my website. Come visit and leave a comment to let me know you found me on Hometalk!

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

1 comment

WOW! It looks amazing. The burnt umber toned down the red and gave it dimension. Great job.