Repurposed Topiary Christmas Tree

$3

A Christmas tree is probably the most popular Christmas symbol, don't you think?

We always cut ours fresh from a farm each year, but this year I decided to start a project that will take some time and creativity: adding additional faux DIY trees to every room of our house.
This was probably a beautiful topiary in it's day.

I found it at a yard sale last month for just $3. It was faded, dusty, leaning out of the pot a little, but loaded with DIY potential.

And a perfect foundation for my first faux Christmas tree.
First, the ivy had to go.

The foundation was still pretty solid, so I decided to leave it in place and just work over it.
A little paint can be totally transformational - and that's just what happened when I gave the pot and top a fresh coat. I used Hammered Dark Bronze for the pot and Metallic Bright Gold for the top.

Doesn't that make such a difference? No more outdated vibes for this little topiary.

Now, it's time to get it dressed!
I had a box full of sprigged garland and it worked beautifully for this little topiary.
Starting at the bottom, I wound the garland around the bottom horizontal wire, and as I moved up the sphere, I wound a sprig around each vertical wire as I reached it.
I loved that the garland attached to the wire frame so well, so there was no need for any wires or ties to hold it in place.
First the sphere...
then the cone.

I decided to shape it just like the ivy topiary because...who has a Christmas tree like this?

I love unique!
With a few lights and shiny balls, my first DIY Christmas tree is done!

Now I'm on the prowl for another thrifty find that can be fashioned into another Christmas tree.
I loved this project because it was simple, unique, and best of all - thrifty!

Since I already had the garland, lights, balls, and paint, the total cost for this project was just $3.

I love a deal like that, don't you?

To Work With My Hands

• Glenda Wall

$3.00 well spent great size for those places you want to add some decor bling to
  • Carol

This is so cool! I am so going to see if i can get something like this going for next Christmas! I really love it and thank you young lady for sharing this wonderful idea.