Leah the Crafty Rabbit
Leah the Crafty Rabbit
  • New Zealand

DIY Antique Lock and Key Display Cabinet

$2.50

Got antique locks and keys and don’t know what to do with them? This idea repurposes an old window frame for a display cabinet.
diy antique lock and key display cabinet, diy, home decor, how to, repurposing upcycling
We collect antique locks and keys whenever we travel overseas. But how to display them?
I wanted to remember each and every one and which country they came from – I didn’t want to throw them in a jumbled mess on a shelf or in a bowl.
I’d bought two of these old windows off Trademe for $2.50, so I decided to convert them into display cabinets.
Using some old MDF wood we had, I cut two backs for the cabinet.
Then I painted them with some white paint we had stored in the garage.
Next, I arranged where I wanted my locks and keys to go.
I marked with little crosses where I wanted to insert my hooks
With a pencil I drew a light line where I wanted to the names for each country, placed the letters on and transferred them
With all the locks and keys in place on their hooks I carefully drilled pilot holes through the back board and window frames and then inserted the screws.
If you’ve come up with some nifty way to display locks and keys then I would love to hear about it. Believe it or not but I still have more locks and keys I want to put on show but am not sure I want an entire wall of display cabinets…
If you want more details and photos then please check out the full blog post at:
http://craftyrabbitstuff.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/how-to-display-antique-locks-and-keys/
Leah the Crafty Rabbit