DIY Mercury Glass Christmas Ornaments

$20

I love mercury glass ornaments, but I don’t love the price tag on the real ones! That’s when I decided to try making some faux ones so I could cover my tree with them without breaking the bank!

Here’s what you need for this project:

• Darice 12-Piece Heavy Duty Glass Balls Clear Glass, 70mm
  • Rust-Oleum Specialty Mirror Effect Spray
  • Rust-Oleum 210849 Hammered Metal Finish Spray in Copper
  • Vinegar
  • Rubber gloves
  • Hair dryer

Remove the metal tops from the ornaments and add 4-5 drops of vinegar.

In a well ventilated area, spray one quick spurt of the copper spray followed by 4-5 quick spurts of the mirror spray INSIDE the ornament. I added the copper spray because I think it gives the paint a more vintage look.

Blow dry the paint through the hole on the top of the ornament while rolling the ornament around in your hand to spread the paint around the inside of the ornament. It should take a minute or so before the paint is dry.

Re-attach the metal top to the ornaments, hang them up and enjoy! 

I hope you enjoyed my DIY Mercury Glass Christmas Ornaments tutorial! Please click on the link below to go to my blog and see this project as well as my other seasonal and farmhouse projects!

Michelle

The Painted Hinge Farmhouse

The Painted Hinge

• Stacy

Can you use and color spray paint

• Robin

Can you use plastic balls?

• Mmg

I just tried the mercury glass process and it failed miserably! The ball ended up just looking gray and it was pretty ugly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I also tried gold paint and the result was not at all what I thought it should be.

I tried to follow the directions exactly, but I'm thinking maybe I used too much paint. Can you please advise me?

• Donna Cole

Yes

• Brenda

I tried this with my granddaughter and it was plain ugly. Don't know why I couldn't get the same results you did. She was so disappointed and so was I. Maybe I'll get more balls 1/2 price after the holidays and give it another try.