Light Up Cinder Block Present

$6

Make your own inexpensive, and fully customizable, DIY outdoor present perfect for lighting up the porch, using cinder blocks, ribbon, paint, lights and glue. They stand up well to cold and wet weathers. Here is a step by step tutorial, lets get started!

Cinder Block

You'll need an 8x8x8 cinder block although you could use any size.

Tools and Materials

Supplies needed:

• Scissors
  • Glue Gun
  • Glue Sticks
  • Lights 20 count
  • Spray Paint (Satin Heirloom White)
  • Ribbon
  • Cardboard
  • Wire
  • And the cinder block I mentioned above
Cut the Cardboard
Cut the Cardboard

Cut the cardboard to fit the top of cinder block leaving a little extra to cover the edges.

Poke Lights Through
Poke Lights Through

Then you will want to poke the lights into the cardboard making a circle. You will want to remember to leave the center with no lights because that's where we will glue the bow.

Paint the Cinder Block
Paint the Cinder Block

I then sprayed the block and cardboard with the satin heirloom white. You could use whatever color you wanted. 

Glue Lights In
Glue Lights In

Next I put the lights in the holes and glued them in. I started on the side where the plug is where I used the notch in the cinder block to hide the light cord.

DIY Cinder Block Light

Make sure to start where the cord can run in this space

Cover Cord with Ribbon
Cover Cord with Ribbon

Next I cut the ribbon to cover the cord and go around the middle of the block

Add Ribbon

Once I am happy with my ribbon around and how the lights are set, I get ready to make my bow.

Form the Bow
Form the Bow

I start by making a loop as my center to make the bow. Then I twisted and formed loops all the way around. I used ribbon wire so it makes it hold its shape and stay popped up.

DIY Burlap Bow

Here is my bow I made. I used the wire that was around the lights in the box. You want to make sure to wire it real tight, then cut and tuck it under so no one can see it.

Glue Bow to Cinder Block
Glue Bow to the Cinder Block

Add a decent amount of glue on the cardboard where you will be placing your bow.

DIY Cinder Block Bow

When you attach your bow you will want to hold it down for a minute or so, allowing the glue to fully dry.

DIY Cinder Block Light Fixture

There you have it a shabby chic cinder block present. This cute craft can be used in or outside and is a great addition to your holiday décor.

DIY Light Up Cinder Block Gift

The cinder block looks fabulous in any space. Make one today with supplies you have laying around..

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

• Angeline VanDyke
    Angeline VanDyke

I think a box would’ve been much easier. Why go with the cinder what does it add?

• June Whitaker
    June Whitaker

Unless you happen to have the right size cinder block sitting around your house, why not buy one of the already decorated cardboard boxes and do this project? Punch holes in the box top and one to feed the light cord through. 15 minute project!! Another thought was to wrap the base in fabric or wrapping paper.

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Using cardboard boxes for outdoor decorations is very impractical for folks who live where it rains, or snows a great deal at Christmas time.

I would suggest using plasticized ribbon instead of the porous jute type shown in the picture, simple because it does not absorb water.

• Lin
    Lin

Where's the instructions...I don't show anything except the items needed.

• JD
    JD

Crafty idea. My suggestion would be to use cinder block outdoors when you need more stability from wind and use cardboard box indoors. 😊

• JD
    JD

Thanks for your inspiration.