Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Light Up Cinder Block Present

$6

Make This Easy, Shabby Chic, Modern Outdoor, Indoor DIY Present Using Cinder Blocks. Make your own inexpensive, and fully customizable DIY outdoor present perfect for lighting up the porch, using cinder blocks, ribbon , paint, lights and glue. EASY Christmas porch or inside décor! They stand up well to cold, wet weathers. Here is a step by step tutorial, lets get started!
light up cinder block present
You'll need an 8x8x8 cinder block although you could use any size.
light up cinder block present
Supplies needed:
Scissors
Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Lights 20 count
Spray Paint (Satin Heirloom White)
Ribbon
Cardboard
Wire

light up cinder block present
Cut the cardboard to fit the top of cinder block leaving a little extra to cover the edges.
light up cinder block present
Then you will want to poke the lights into the cardboard making a circle. You will want to remember to leave the center with no lights because that's where we will glue the bow.
light up cinder block present
I then sprayed the block and cardboard with the satin heirloom white. You could use whatever color you wanted.  

light up cinder block present
Next I put the lights in the holes and glued them in. I started on the side where the plug is where I used the notch in the cinder block to hide the light cord.
light up cinder block present
Make sure to start where the cord can run in this space
light up cinder block present
Next I cut the ribbon to cover the cord and go around the middle of the block
light up cinder block present
Once I am happy with my ribbon around and how the lights are set, I get ready to make my bow.
light up cinder block present
I start by making a loop as my center to make the bow. Then I twisted and formed loops all the way around. I used ribbon wire so it makes it hold its shape and stay popped up.
light up cinder block present
Here is my bow I made. I  used the wire that was around the lights in the box. You want to make sure to wire it real tight, then cut and tuck it under so no one can see it.
light up cinder block present
Add a decent amount of glue on the cardboard where you will be placing your bow.
light up cinder block present
When you attach your bow you will want to hold it down for a minute or so, allowing the glue to fully dry.
light up cinder block present
There you have it a shabby chic cinder block present. This cute craft can be used in or outside and is a great addition to your holiday décor.
light up cinder block present
The cinder block looks fabulous in any space. Make one today with supplies you have laying around..

• Cinder Block  (Lowe's)
  • Glue Gun and Sticks  (Dollar store)
  • Ribbion  (Local Wholesaler)

• Tom Crosby

Is a cinder block the same as a concrete block ?

• Shelly L Nemeth

believe it or not, a box at low's cost more then the block and I didn't have to cover or paint . plus the outdoor weather factor, this is a great options

• Betty

How does the cardboard hold up under a snow fall?

• Shelly L Nemeth

You can use that Plastic corrugated board I’m in Phoenix so I don’t have to worry

• Pennie Collins

It’s really pretty! But why use a cinder block?

• She4271771

Cardboard isn't going to stand up to all the elements of weather. However a cinder block definitely will.