Up-cycling Bottles With a Bottle Cutter

$20

The possibilities are endless when it comes to up-cycling bottles. I recently purchased a bottle cutter and now I have even ways to up-cycle those bottles!

I purchased my bottle cutter from Amazon.
You follow the instructions that come with the bottle cutter.  First it says to size the device to where you want the bottle cut.
Set the bottle inside the cutter and lightly press while rotating the bottle.  This leaves a score line on your bottle.  You don't have to press too hard and only go around one time.

After scoring, again following the instructions that came with - have 1 pot of boiling water and 1 pot of ice water. 
You'll hold the bottle in the boiling water so that the score line is under water for a few seconds...
Then immediately put the bottle in the ice water so that the score line is under water for a few seconds.  
Repeat this process until the bottle literally splits in half.
*Now to be honest - I went through a lot of bottles practicing this until I got the technique right (following the directions is key).  I would say most of the time it works great and sometimes the bottle doesn't cut cleanly.
Once the bottle is in half, use the sand paper provided to smooth the edges.

Now you're ready to create!  The possibilities are endless - glasses, candle holders, wind chimes, bird feeders...
Let's make a quick candle holder with the bottom -

Paint Mod Podge onto the bottle.
Roll in some Epsom Salt.
Let dry completely.
Add a battery operated LED light or preferred candle of your choice.
I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Zelma
    Zelma

How much does bottle cutter cost

And can u use any bottles

• Chas' Crazy Creations
      Chas' Crazy Creations

Mine cost about $20 and I can do wine, beer, cider bottles. They need to be round (can't be square bottles).

• Jacquienina
    Jacquienina

I'm interested in 2 possibilities - 1 is to cut the bottle lengthwise. 2 is to cut a bottle at an angle. Does anyone have experience with either of these ideas?

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Did you try tapping the score line with the ball that's on a standard glass cutter, prior to plunging into the boiling water? That's how you cut flat glass/mirrors and it might help get every bottle to cut properly.

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

Yes I know. Was suggesting you try tapping the score line lol!