A Real Christmas Wreath for My Back Door

$14

I knew I wanted a wreath for my back door. Unfortunately real evergreens have a tendency to make me congested, especially pine, and don't even get me started about what the sap does to me. So we usually end up with artificial everything. But, I can get away with a real wreath on my back door to enjoy on the outside of the house. So when I saw this little wreath for sale for less than $6 at my grocery store I bought it.
It was the last one on the rack and a little flat from being hung behind other wreaths. So I fluffed it up. It was $5.98 as you can see from the tag.
On the way home I purchased an armful of dollar store ornaments. I already had a couple sleeves so in total I used 7.
I hot glued the stem of each ornament into the greenery. The only tool I used for this project was my hot glue gun and glue sticks I already had.
I started out going around and around the wreath, spacing them out.
Then I started filling them in. I made sure some weren't flat on the wreath, to give it more dimension (secure it between other ornaments).
Then I added a bow I made from a dollar store scarf (I try to buy some every season because they come in handy for crafts). This was one of their Christmas scarfs.
I had a small set of indoor/outdoor lights that I attached with some glittery pipe cleaners. This is optional and adds about $5 to the cost, if you buy a set. If you already have a set, no extra cost. Be sure to use lights that can be used outdoors (these are battery operated). I wanted the option of lighting it up at night, but, wanted the ornaments to be pretty during the day. So the minimal look worked for this wreath. Just remember - a wreath just takes a little time, some inexpensive materials and imagination!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer

• Mary Distel

Do you preserve the wreath or throw it away when you are done with it? I know you can take the lights off but what about the ornaments?

• Cynthia H

I reuse the ornaments after the evergreen dries out, since they come right off. I do it outside so I don't get needles everywhere, bag up the ornaments and they can be recycled for the next year.

• Shari

This is neither a positive nor a negative, but since you react so badly to evergreens, how in the world did you manage to decorate this one inside? At all events, it's truly a sweet idea and possibly worth your temporary discomfort.

• Corvina

Oh Cynthia! We do what we can, right?

Life is way too short!

😸

• Shari

A woman after me own heart...Where there's a will, there's a way, right!

Shari

• Corvina

Hi Cynthia!!!

THIS IS THE FIRST HOMETALK CRAFT I HAVE ACTUALLY COMPLETED!!!!!

Happy New Year my new friend!

🐈 - Katrina

• Corvina

Thank you!

As much as I desire to be a craft master; I am the one who fixes the house, pets, plants, and the 2 adult humans.