A Real Christmas Wreath for My Back Door

$14

I knew I wanted a wreath for my back door. Unfortunately real evergreens have a tendency to make me congested, especially pine, and don't even get me started about what the sap does to me. So we usually end up with artificial everything. But, I can get away with a real wreath on my back door to enjoy on the outside of the house. So when I saw this little wreath for sale for less than $6 at my grocery store I bought it.
It was the last one on the rack and a little flat from being hung behind other wreaths. So I fluffed it up. It was $5.98 as you can see from the tag.
On the way home I purchased an armful of dollar store ornaments. I already had a couple sleeves so in total I used 7.
I hot glued the stem of each ornament into the greenery. The only tool I used for this project was my hot glue gun and glue sticks I already had.
I started out going around and around the wreath, spacing them out.
Then I started filling them in. I made sure some weren't flat on the wreath, to give it more dimension (secure it between other ornaments).
Then I added a bow I made from a dollar store scarf (I try to buy some every season because they come in handy for crafts). This was one of their Christmas scarfs.
I had a small set of indoor/outdoor lights that I attached with some glittery pipe cleaners. This is optional and adds about $5 to the cost, if you buy a set. If you already have a set, no extra cost. Be sure to use lights that can be used outdoors (these are battery operated). I wanted the option of lighting it up at night, but, wanted the ornaments to be pretty during the day. So the minimal look worked for this wreath. Just remember - a wreath just takes a little time, some inexpensive materials and imagination!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home

• Could you share more details on how you made the bow?

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
    Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

What kind of glue sticks? I can't get glue to stick to anything green. The moisture content of the plant changes so it's either shrunk up some or slightly swollen causing my glue to come off

• Leslie
      Leslie

Hi Rachel, as I suggested to Katherine with a similar question Gorilla brand has an all weather glue gun stick. You can also Google to see if there are other brands.

• Janine
    Janine

Any ideas for a glass sliding back door ?

• Cynthia H
      Cynthia H

Before we had french doors, we had sliding glass. I kept a Command hook attached to the outside panel that didn't move for wreaths. Be sure to use one intended for use outside.