A Real Christmas Wreath for My Back Door

$14

I knew I wanted a wreath for my back door. Unfortunately real evergreens have a tendency to make me congested, especially pine, and don't even get me started about what the sap does to me. So we usually end up with artificial everything. But, I can get away with a real wreath on my back door to enjoy on the outside of the house. So when I saw this little wreath for sale for less than $6 at my grocery store I bought it.
It was the last one on the rack and a little flat from being hung behind other wreaths. So I fluffed it up. It was $5.98 as you can see from the tag.
On the way home I purchased an armful of dollar store ornaments. I already had a couple sleeves so in total I used 7.
I hot glued the stem of each ornament into the greenery. The only tool I used for this project was my hot glue gun and glue sticks I already had.
I started out going around and around the wreath, spacing them out.
Then I started filling them in. I made sure some weren't flat on the wreath, to give it more dimension (secure it between other ornaments).
Then I added a bow I made from a dollar store scarf (I try to buy some every season because they come in handy for crafts). This was one of their Christmas scarfs.
I had a small set of indoor/outdoor lights that I attached with some glittery pipe cleaners. This is optional and adds about $5 to the cost, if you buy a set. If you already have a set, no extra cost. Be sure to use lights that can be used outdoors (these are battery operated). I wanted the option of lighting it up at night, but, wanted the ornaments to be pretty during the day. So the minimal look worked for this wreath. Just remember - a wreath just takes a little time, some inexpensive materials and imagination!

• Mary Distel

Do you preserve the wreath or throw it away when you are done with it? I know you can take the lights off but what about the ornaments?

• Cynthia H

I reuse the ornaments after the evergreen dries out, since they come right off. I do it outside so I don't get needles everywhere, bag up the ornaments and they can be recycled for the next year.

• Shari

This is neither a positive nor a negative, but since you react so badly to evergreens, how in the world did you manage to decorate this one inside? At all events, it's truly a sweet idea and possibly worth your temporary discomfort.

• Corvina

Oh Cynthia! We do what we can, right?

Life is way too short!

😸

• Shari

A woman after me own heart...Where there's a will, there's a way, right!

Shari

• Corvina

Hi Cynthia!!!

THIS IS THE FIRST HOMETALK CRAFT I HAVE ACTUALLY COMPLETED!!!!!

Happy New Year my new friend!

🐈 - Katrina

• Corvina

Thank you!

As much as I desire to be a craft master; I am the one who fixes the house, pets, plants, and the 2 adult humans.