Creative, Frugal Pendant Lights

$30

When you go over budget in a renovation project, how do you reel in the costs and yet complete everything you set out to do? You get creative, you look for alternative products and you adjust your plans.

creative frugal pendant lights

What do you see above? A wastebasket? Yes, but if you flip it over it's a perfect light shade that's only costs a couple of bucks at the dollar store! Next, we sought out the necessary wiring and hanging chain to turn it into a pendant light.

creative frugal pendant lights

My husband helped with this as I have no electrical experience, so basically all parts were bought separately as seen above. Next he drilled a hole in the bottom of the basket to feed the wire through and attach the socket portion inside the basket.The chain was not needed to up hold this it was added for aesthetic purposes only. Once it was hung from my t-bar ceiling I noticed a problem, the black socket had to be painted to blend in better.

creative frugal pendant lights

A makeup sponge and silver paint made the job quick and easy.

creative frugal pendant lights

Above shown is the color of the light socket as it looked when it was bought and the below is how it looked after being painted with the silver paint.

creative frugal pendant lights
creative frugal pendant lights

These silver, pendant lights hang above on both sides of my desk in my craft room.

creative frugal pendant lights
creative frugal pendant lights

I opted to buy pretty, chandelier bulbs that would imitate daylight, I love them and the best part they only cost about $15 each!

• Barb

What type of silver paint did you use? Was it a special paint like user for metal or will craft paints such as acrylics work and adhere well to the socket piece that you painted?

Sometimes paints will bead up or roll off when painted on plastics.

• Sea Trace Creations

The photo shows it was just a general purpose acrylic, had no issues with it bubbling off. I don't have a high wattage light bulb in it. I don't know if the heat from such a bulb on for an extended time would cause any trouble?

• Clök Concept

This is really nice! I am doing a huge makeover for our dining room ceiling lamp... I was hoping to finish it in time for the challenge, but it is way more challenging then I expected it to be!

I think I'm gonna keep your idea for a set of lights on top of a counter top in my "on the way" new kitchen! :) Thanks for the share!
    • Sea Trace Creations

Stainless steel bowls were another option I had in mind but the wastebaskets were cheaper. Bowls would be a great option for a kitchen!

• Rembatb

Creative and sassy!
    • Sea Trace Creations

Why thank you so much, we have had a few surprised faces when we tell folks what they were made out of!