I live in a split enter house, I'd love a design idea for the walls

+4
  • Jeanette Kent Jeanette Kent on Dec 13, 2017
    Well, I think a lot would depend on how big the entry way is, and also, the type of person that you are. You could put a chair and a table for writing/ typing letters, you could put a comfy chair or bean bag and a small pile or shelf of books if you have children and want to encourage them to read, you could put a really unusual ornament on a small table (or a bigger one on the floor) as a talking piece. The more unusual, the better. It really depends on what you prefer. Do you want to draw attention to this space or do you want it to blend in with another room, like your lounge. Then I would try ti match or co-ordinate some of the accessories which are in the lounge with those in your entrance. I would also look at how bright or dark the entrance is, before making a decision. A photo of it, would have helped a lot. I hope you like one of the ideas that I have suggested. God Bless. Jeanette

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 14, 2017
    How about hanging up a large mirror? That'll brighten the room right up!
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 14, 2017
    Strong colour on outside toning down as you proceed into room.........
  • Leslie Ibanez Leslie Ibanez on Dec 15, 2017
    I feel your pain! We have a split entry/split foyer house. The floor space is SO SMALL. That said, it's hard to answer your question without knowing your design style and without knowing what your decor is in the space upstairs. But I'll try to answer your question as best as I can based on experience:

Don't try to hang pictures along the downstairs steps. They often end up looking dinky and disjointed from the upstairs.

I would recommend treating the large wall more as a subtle accent. Add some texture with planks or wallpaper. Nothing too bold or it will compete with the rest of your home decor.

Alternatively, you can find a HUGE wreath, mirror, or piece of artwork to hang up high. A pair of old salvaged doors could be interesting, and would probably be the right scale. If you do something like that, keep the artwork in your upstairs living area simple, so you don't end up with too many competing elements.

Hope this helps!
  • Pamela S Alexander Pamela S Alexander on Dec 15, 2017
    I also live in a split level Home- the “foyer” is very small so nothing can sit on the floor without the door bumping into it. I needed a place to hang keys, purses, light coats, etc. So I put a shelf with pegs on it just below the floor of the upper level- we have metal bannisters that go from the front door wall around the stairs and down. The front wall is painted a nice warm toast color, and the opposite wall is covered in a lighter burlap looking wallpaper( the texture is amazing!). The tiles on the foyer are ceramic and white with a warm tan and brown design on them to tie the two walls together.I have a small rug at the door that can easily be changed out for the season( normally I have a dark brown rug but right now it is a bright n chedry snowman couple). I can hang my keys and purse on the pegs of the shelf and during the holidays I hang several small ornaments on the pegs to add a bit of holiday fun. I also put a few small mirrors off to one side of the door( good for checking my hair before I head out the door) and a few small inspirational pictures I picked up at the local Dollar Tree. I also put a wallet sized family portrait in a silver frame on the opposite side of the mirrors. I wanted to have a shoe rack but it interfered with the door opening fully so couldn’t do that but I was able to put a very narrow container against the wall that holds umbrellas. The wall going upstairs ( the wallpapered one) has a photo gallery of all my kids through the years. The wall going downstairs has a graphic cloth print that I stretched onto a painting frame and hung. Opposite the graphic are two picture collage frames that hold pictures of myself, family and friends from my younger years. When you walk in to my house you see who lives there and the things that are most dear to me- very inviting and very homey feeling.