Amazing Scrap Wood Christmas Tree

$4

I'm always bringing home interesting scrap pieces of wood home that I find in skips(dumpsters). Such as window architrave or old skirting/baseboards. I also collect old cabinet knobs, coat hooks, and any other ironmongery.

Well, this year I actually found something pretty cool to make with all this architectural junk, a flat Christmas tree.
The first thing I did was lay out all the wood pieces to form a rough Christmas tree shape.
I cut and sawed the bits of wood so that they made a triangle Christmas tree shape. I used a reciprocating saw for this like this one.
The next thing I did was paint these bits of wood with some leftover Annie Sloan Antibes green paint. And then added a top coat of dark wax to give it a more aged look.
I also painted some of the wooden cabinet knobs bright colours.
Once the paint was dry, I lay out my wooden Christmas tree and arranged the knobs and ironmongery to where I thought they looked best.
I then screwed the knobs and hooks to the pieces of green wood.
I then got one long piece of wood to use as my trunk and screwed each green branch to it.
I started at the top of the tree and worked my way down until all the branches were attached.
The finished Christmas tree is now hung on the wall in my kitchen and I love it. The knobs and hooks look like Christmas ornaments so you can leave it as it is or you can hang decorations on them.
This is not my first flat Christmas tree, I made a really popular one out of tree branches last year (click here to see). I still have this one too in my lounge.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Bud22385182

How wide is the bottom board on the tree?
  • Pattie Hartmann

No ??? Just a gorgeous tree!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Sometimes you want more than one tree in the house and flat trees don't take up much space. This one hangs in my kitchen.

• Karen Looney

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA! Why not use door latches, metal hook & loop, etc too? My grand kids would have fun playing this this hands-on tree vs so much hands-off decor I have in my home. Thank you for sharing this idea!

• Virginia

This is great and adaptable to other shapes. For me, who has been collecting old odds and ends of hardware for almost 50 years and have access to my brother's farm sheds, a gold mine of what to do with those charming 'things'.

Thanks for the ideas.