Amazing Scrap Wood Christmas Tree

10 materials
$4
I'm always bringing home interesting scrap pieces of wood home that I find in skips(dumpsters). Such as window architrave or old skirting/baseboards. I also collect old cabinet knobs, coat hooks, and any other ironmongery.

Well, this year I actually found something pretty cool to make with all this architectural junk, a flat Christmas tree.
The first thing I did was lay out all the wood pieces to form a rough Christmas tree shape.
I cut and sawed the bits of wood so that they made a triangle Christmas tree shape. I used a reciprocating saw for this like this one.
The next thing I did was paint these bits of wood with some leftover Annie Sloan Antibes green paint. And then added a top coat of dark wax to give it a more aged look.
I also painted some of the wooden cabinet knobs bright colours.
Once the paint was dry, I lay out my wooden Christmas tree and arranged the knobs and ironmongery to where I thought they looked best.
I then screwed the knobs and hooks to the pieces of green wood.
I then got one long piece of wood to use as my trunk and screwed each green branch to it.
I started at the top of the tree and worked my way down until all the branches were attached.
The finished Christmas tree is now hung on the wall in my kitchen and I love it. The knobs and hooks look like Christmas ornaments so you can leave it as it is or you can hang decorations on them.
This is not my first flat Christmas tree, I made a really popular one out of tree branches last year (click here to see). I still have this one too in my lounge.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 153 comments
Next