DIY Shoe Storage

$30
1 Day

Upgrade an old boot tray with this DIY shoe storage! Perfect for snowy boots, this front door shoe storage idea will completely change the look of your entryway!

My entry way really needed this DIY shoe storage idea, it was practically begging for a makeover!

I thought I should start small and upgrade a couple of old shoe tray for front door. They’re black and ugly, they’ve been around for ages and time really took a toll on them! And I also made use of the old shoe racks I had which were not in such a bad shape.

MATERIALS:
newspapers
plastic boot tray
220 grit sandpaper
rubbing alcohol
cotton pads
primer
acrylic paint in color of choice (I got white, it fits my home decor). Use paint that is suitable for plastic. Alternatively, use spray paint
paint roller
acrylic sealer
pebbles
2 metal shoe racks

If you’re using an old tray as mine, wash it well with soap and water then dry.
Wipe surface down with a cloth.

Apply a coat of primer and let it dry completely.
Using your paint roller, apply the paint, following the instructions on the label. Alternatively use spray paint.
Do a coat of acrylic sealer for durability – completely optional. Allow to completely dry.
Fill about 2/3 of the tray with pebbles.
Stack up the metal shoe racks and place them on top of the pebble filled tray for extra shoe storage.
I am so much happier about my entryway now, I think it looks a lot tidier, cleaner and clutter free!

And I added an extra tray by the door, for guests’ shoes and boots. 

Petro Neagu

• Eroque022810

Don't the upper shoes drip on the lower shoes?
    • Eroque022810

So were you able to keep the same unit since the stones weigh? I like how clean it looks as well as the stones. I just don't want something that isn't going to work after all. Right now we use an over the door shoe rack which in the utility room and obviously the boots get placed on floor due to the dripping so although great for dry months not for winter. Luckily the furnace dries them quickly and when you put them on its warm and cozy. But it's so disorganized! That's what got me staring at this and wishing I could replicate in that room. We all entire through it since it leads to garage. Organization would be great plus it would keep salt from attaching to bottom of slippers that we wear inside the house.