A Rustic Barrel Christmas Tree

$10

I love rustic, woodsy looking skinny Christmas trees so when I found a 4-1/2 foot tree that was made with a real tree branch up the middle I was so happy...but nothing thrilled me more then getting it on clearance 90% off at the end of the season!

a rustic barrel christmas tree

It's really cute with all the woodland creatures and pine cones I had. But it needed height and a nice base. I didn't want it on the floor. A table worked for awhile but I wanted rustic....

a rustic barrel christmas tree

I had this awesome rustic barrel...

a rustic barrel christmas tree

And cut this scrap plywood to fit on top of the barrel and cut into it so it slides up against the tree trunk....

a rustic barrel christmas tree

Then I cut some scrap burlap bag into a circle then cut it to the center to accommodate the tree trunk and set it on top of the wood covered barrel...

a rustic barrel christmas tree

I measured and cut some scrap Christmas ribbon to fit around the barrel top. Mine was burlap with wire edges and a Christmas design on it.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

With a couple squares of plywood and a 4x4 scrap nailed together I got 12 inches extra height to the tree but could've made it taller.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

The metal base that came with the tree was easy to screw into the plywood.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

Then dropped the extended tree into the barrel.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

And slid the plywood circle on top of the barrel up against the tree trunk.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

I put the burlap over the barrel and after arranging it I tied the ribbon around the top of the barrel.

a rustic barrel christmas tree

Add the lights and ornaments...

a rustic barrel christmas tree

It's 5-1/2 foot tall now which is a better height. The barrel and burlap really add to the look!

Kitty Boo  doesn't climb up this skinny tree  but does like to sit on the barrel, lol.

This is the 4th year we've had this tree and I do change the lights and ornaments now and then. Last year I put a sheet over it completely decorated and stored it in the basement so this year all I had to do was bring it up and plug it in. Talk about easy, wow!

• Bonita

I'm just curious as to why you didn't just turn the barrel upside down and put the tree on top of it. All the work you did to make it taller went down inside the barrel. You say you could have went a little taller and if you would have turned the barrel over n put the tree on the "bottom" which is now the top you would have your extra height. Seems like a lot of extra work. If it were me I would have just turned the barrel over. Just wondering why you just didn't do that.

• Jeanne Martin

The barrel shape would have changed if turned upside down. Plus, the way they did it the barrel can be used for other decor too!

• Carmel Madden

Where did u get the skinny branch