Cable Spool & Reclaimed Fence Wood Coffee Table

66K Views
We basically went about a year without at coffee table while I looked for one that worked well in our space. I found an inspiration piece on a trip and used supplies from my garage to pull it together.

I admit my garage may have more random materials stashed in it than most... But these items are not too hard to find & came together to make a gorgeous unique coffee table that even has a built-in den for small pets.
Time: 6 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Easy
  • cable spool reclaimed fence wood coffee table
Gather supplies: cable spool top & bottom, neighbors old fence boards, 2x4 pine, and a metal strap from Lowe's. Not shown miter saw, nail gun, sander, construction adhesive, drill, bolts, & paint to update the look of that metal strap.
I checked Google for the proper height for a coffee table and chose the best fit from the ranges found in my Google Search. Remember to subtract the thickness of any pieces being added to the top of your 2x4s. 2x4s were cut, and pocket holes were drilled into both end of the boards. I put boards around the perimeter and a couple into the center for support.
Table skeleton. This table is very sturdy with this 2x4 layout! My daughter stood on top and jumped around to be sure it was solid.Boards were put into place with pocket hole screws. I used my kreg jig to make the holes.
Starting the top design with fence boards. Dry fit to make sure you are happy with the layout. You can get creative with this step. choose different colored boards if you want to create some interest. When you are happy with your layout add construction adhesive and use your nailer to fasten your boards in place.
When you nail your boards down you will have ends overhanging the table edge. Use your jigsaw to cut the boards back to flush with your plywood. After it is cut flush use your electric sander to clean up the edges.
That top is Gorgeous right?!?!? Interior was painted dark brown. Boards were added around the perimeter. Slots were left open for storage or in our case for a pet den...This feature makes this table so awesome. We love our pets, but don't love the look of pet furniture.
Fence boards are not the cleanest. You will need to clean and sand well to avoid splinters. This was after sanding, scrubbing, and adding a polyacrylic top coat. The metal strap was cut to size and bolted in place.

The metal strap was galvanized steel and pretty shiny. I used paint and a texture additive to create a patinaed look.
This coffee table is everything I wanted for this space. I hope you enjoy this project and are inspired to create something for your space. You can see more about this project over at our blog.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 19, 2018 10:41 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Whimsy and Wood

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!