Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Embroidery Hoop Loom & Weaving

$8

Earlier this week, I yammered on-and-on about presence over presents. That the holiday season had already been so crazy, and that I wanted to gain a little bit more perspective this year. Rather than unabashedly sacrificing all my time to perfect decor, perfect recipes and perfect gifts, I want to be in the moment. Instead of a consistent busy-ness taking over my every minute, I want to listen. I want to be
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Supplies:
  • embroidery hoop of any size (I picked mine up on the cheap at a thrift store)
  • cotton string
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle
  • wool yarn in varying colors and thicknesses
  • roving wool in varying colors

Start by separating the inner and outer rings of an embroidery hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Secure some cotton string to the inner hoop. Then, loop the yarn over and around the opposing side of the inner hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Now, bring your string across to the opposing side again, moving it over by about an inch (rather than directly across) before looping it around the inner frame.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
You want to keep the string taut, but do not pull it so hard that you misshapen the wooden frame.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Repeat looping the string back and forth until you have created a starburst looking web.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Before tying off, bring your string down to the center of your starburst, and tie the intersection of string together. Now you have a tidy center!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
It is time to finish off the loom by securing the outer ring over all of your handiwork and tightening it down with the screw on the embroidery hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
With a loom that took about 10 minutes to make, it is pretty satisfying to get to the creative job of weaving so fast! I decided to play with an array of muted colors in different textured wools and cotton. This is where you get to play!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
When weaving in a circle, the only tricky part is figuring out where you are going to switch your over-and-under pattern. Typically, you would switch your over-and-under with each row in a rectangular piece, thereby creating a weaving. With a circle, you have to decide on one point before you start going back around.

diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
To keep things easy, I simply chose the initial string I tied to the inner frame when beginning the process of making my loom. It was easy to see my knot, and that way I had no trouble remembering when to switch directions of my over-under pattern. I really love how the texture turned out!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
I could not resist a bit of fringe! Obviously, you can weave all the way to edge of your embroidery hoop, but I kind of liked seeing some of the loom strings framing my weaving.
The best part? I was able to visit with my sister and brother-in-law over a glass of wine while I worked on this piece. I love that it was such a peaceful gift to make!

diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Happy Elfing everyone! I hope you manage to carve out time to just “be” during this mad rush of a season! Give your loves a hug for me!
xoxo
Chanda
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 11, 2018 10:22 PM - More info
Zest it Up