Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Embroidery Hoop Loom & Weaving

$8

Earlier this week, I yammered on-and-on about presence over presents. That the holiday season had already been so crazy, and that I wanted to gain a little bit more perspective this year. Rather than unabashedly sacrificing all my time to perfect decor, perfect recipes and perfect gifts, I want to be in the moment. Instead of a consistent busy-ness taking over my every minute, I want to listen. I want to be more consumed with paying attention to the people in my life, rather than my to-do list. Lofty notions for sure, but ultimately it’s rooted in the good intentions that I have to keep myself in check with over and over again.
However, I did give the disclaimer that Christmas would just not feel like Christmas without a little DIY….I am a Zester, after all! This season I have still taken a DIY route, but I have kept my goals from overreaching. My projects are fewer and smaller. Simple gifts that I know will make the recipients smile broadly and warmly. The kind of gift giving that is succinctly followed up with some great visit time. Weavings may feel a bit daunting when I shout out for easy DIY projects, but honestly…..a few small wall hanging weavings are quite simple to create. The best is that you can be “working” on the gift of a weaving while you have yourself a good visit with your loved ones. A win-win in my book!

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Supplies:
  • embroidery hoop of any size (I picked mine up on the cheap at a thrift store)
  • cotton string
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle
  • wool yarn in varying colors and thicknesses
  • roving wool in varying colors

Start by separating the inner and outer rings of an embroidery hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Secure some cotton string to the inner hoop. Then, loop the yarn over and around the opposing side of the inner hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Now, bring your string across to the opposing side again, moving it over by about an inch (rather than directly across) before looping it around the inner frame.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
You want to keep the string taut, but do not pull it so hard that you misshapen the wooden frame.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Repeat looping the string back and forth until you have created a starburst looking web.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Before tying off, bring your string down to the center of your starburst, and tie the intersection of string together. Now you have a tidy center!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
It is time to finish off the loom by securing the outer ring over all of your handiwork and tightening it down with the screw on the embroidery hoop.
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
With a loom that took about 10 minutes to make, it is pretty satisfying to get to the creative job of weaving so fast! I decided to play with an array of muted colors in different textured wools and cotton. This is where you get to play!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
When weaving in a circle, the only tricky part is figuring out where you are going to switch your over-and-under pattern. Typically, you would switch your over-and-under with each row in a rectangular piece, thereby creating a weaving. With a circle, you have to decide on one point before you start going back around.

diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
To keep things easy, I simply chose the initial string I tied to the inner frame when beginning the process of making my loom. It was easy to see my knot, and that way I had no trouble remembering when to switch directions of my over-under pattern. I really love how the texture turned out!
diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
I could not resist a bit of fringe! Obviously, you can weave all the way to edge of your embroidery hoop, but I kind of liked seeing some of the loom strings framing my weaving.
The best part? I was able to visit with my sister and brother-in-law over a glass of wine while I worked on this piece. I love that it was such a peaceful gift to make!

diy embroidery hoop loom weaving
Happy Elfing everyone! I hope you manage to carve out time to just “be” during this mad rush of a season! Give your loves a hug for me!
xoxo
Chanda
Zest it Up

• Ann Gibson Parlier

how do you make the different textures?

• Zest it Up

Great question! If you use wool roving and wool yarns it will create the different textures! :)

• Sue

I like to know how you hung your plants like that?

• Maggie Smith

It looks like it might be a finch bird nest. Or at least you could probably use a nest. Pet stores have them in different sizes, starting at around $3.50 each.

• Jalolo

I would love to try this project and I'm with you until you get to the weaving, and then I'm lost! Would you have more precise instructions for that?