Clean Your Gas Fireplace in Under an Hour

$0

I love having a fireplace when the winter winds are whipping around outside. And a gas fireplace is awesome - flip a switch and you’ve got instant fire!
But our fireplace didn’t seem to be burning very brightly. The glass was getting cloudy and I knew it had to be pretty dirty.
I began by turning off the gas. Our control knobs are behind the bottom vent and are very easy to access.
I removed the top vent and then removed the glass front.
I have two clips at the bottom of the glass that flip open then the glass just lifts off. So easy.
I carefully laid the glass on an old sleeping bag to clean it.
Using blue Dawn (I love blue Dawn) and water, I scrubbed the glass using a scrubby sponge and wiped it with a soft cloth.
Then I clean the glass with window cleaner.
I carefully flipped the glass over and cleaned the other side.
Using blue Dawn and warm water, I wiped the inside top of the fireplace with a soft cloth.
I carefully removed two pieces of the “wood” to clean underneath.
Using the brush attachment of my vacuum, I swept off the ”wood” pieces.
I also swept underneath the ”wooden pieces” where the gas holes are (this not the technically name but where the fire comes up to the wood). I returned the wool (those fuzzy pieces) and the “wooden pieces” back in place.
I used long handled brush that I used to clean underneath my refrigerator and...
I wrapped that brush in a soft cloth and cleaned beneath the fireplace.
Pretty cruddy.
Then I used the crevic tool of my vacuum to suck up any loose dirt.
I finished by wiping down both the upper and lower vents.
I replaced the top vent, turned the gas back on and replaced the lower vent.
What a difference! The fire burned much higher and brighter.
Now to find a good book so I can snuggle up by the fire.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Bonnie

What are the fuzzy pieces that were under the wood?

If there was none there, when you first got it, then I recommend you contact a Fire Place Retailer and confirm it can be added. Because it could Void the Warrenty or possibly cause a fire, they get there UL listing for safety as they are when purchased and adding stuff to it can be dangerous ! Also that is tempered glass and Products Like Windex can affect the glass by removing the tempering and when the glass get hot it can shatter.

• Tina House

My fireplace which is never used, has started smelling like mold or mildew! Has anyone else had this problem in a old house? I've been living here 4 years and no problems until a month ago

• Janice Furtado

I have the same fireplace, there is no need to "shut off the gas" to clean it!
    • Cpr27621092

Your probably right, but remember some folks sent as careful and may accidentally turn on the fireplace while cleaning it. It’s just a safety tip, but your correct. If you know what your doing and reasonably careful, you don’t have to turn off the gas. It’s like some people unplug the lamp to change a lightbulb.

• Sheila Cholyk

My fireplace is very similar and has clips for the glass at the top and the bottom. The technician suggested undoing he bottom clips first for safety.