Alchemy Home
Alchemy Home
  • Alexandria, VA

Salvaged Thrift Store Dresser

I picked up this piece a few months back at a thrift store for $20! I likely would have passed it by, even for only $20, but I saw the beautiful wood grain underneath that badly damaged veneer and knew it had potential!
salvaged thrift store dresser, painted furniture
This was the piece in the condition I found it in the thrift store. I'm not even sure if the pictures could do justice to how badly the veneer was damaged!
After A LOT of work, I was able to remove all of the veneer from the sides and drawer fronts, but the top was super stubborn. Then, I remembered a handy trick I'd read about on a blog... so we removed the top from the dresser, flipped it over, and reattached it! Voilà no more stubborn veneer on the top:-)
I stained the top and drawer fronts by using Rustoleum's "Java Brown" glaze, and then painted the body of it in a graphite color.
After adding some stenciling on the corners of the drawer fronts, I sealed it all with several coats of General Finishes High Performance polyacrylic. I loved this piece that I kept it for myself:-) It now has a place in our entryway and is perfect storing all of our winter hats, gloves, and scarves!
Check out more of our makeovers at: http://www.furniturealchemy.net

Alchemy Home

• Sue

Did you reshape/router the edges after you flipped the top over?

• 62q10370829

Did you try a wet towel to lossen the glue? Lay it on top , just don't have it dripping wet.

• S

I am really loving the furniture piece you refinished. I would love to use this stencil pattern on one of my current projects, but I can't find it anywhere. I'd be most gratef if you could tell me where you buy your stencils, and the brand and name of this particular stencil? Are you able to help me with this?