Choyce
Choyce
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

I Made a Draft Guard for a Door With Recycled Materials

$0

I desperately needed a draft guard for the door to our cold storage room. The room maintains temperatures between 40 and 45 degrees F, a huge extra fridge!

A large gap under the door was letting a lot of chilly air into the apartment. As a renter, I didn't want to nail or glue anything to the door itself, so designed a draft stopper.
i made a draft guard for a door with recycled materials
This angled piece of heavy cardboard was part of a packing crate that came with our new barbecue.
It isn't as long as the width of the door, but it worked out nonetheless.
I made a sleeve, 32 inches by 8 inches. I sewed down the middle, leaving two channels.
I stuffed one channel with bits of foam and crumpled up plastic bags.
Then I pushed the cardboard thing into the empty side, with the high side on the outer edge.
The whole thing slid under the door perfectly, and it stays in place even when opening and closing the door.
In place, it is fairly unobtrusive. You could make the sleeve out of a colourful material, or even knit something.
The door no longer bleeds frigid air into the apartment!

Cardboard packing piece

• Scott Flynn

I desperately need one for my APT. Door as well, but....the inside and outside of the Apartment is carpeted. Do you think it could still work? I only ask as I see your floor is tiled.

• Cyn15332276

Is it water proof.

• Choyce

no it is not waterproof, as it serves a totally indoor area, there was no need. On the plus side, it is washable.

• Sharon Falco

I just found angled pieces of cardboard lying on my dinning room table from a fireplace heater we purchased! Guess what I am making?

• Jgl7933775

yes I will!

• Kat16249367

I need to do this right now! I had lots of snow blow in right inside the storm door, that it left several inches on floor and some on the indoor wreath! How best to find the heavy bent cardboard?

• Choyce

Good question Mine came as packing material with a new barbecue. What you could try is making a channel in the center the width of the door, then slide two things on either side, like a pool noodle cut in half? let us know how that goes!