I Made a Draft Guard for a Door With Recycled Materials

63K Views
I desperately needed a draft guard for the door to our cold storage room. The room maintains temperatures between 40 and 45 degrees F, a huge extra fridge!

A large gap under the door was letting a lot of chilly air into the apartment. As a renter, I didn't want to nail or glue anything to the door itself, so designed a draft stopper.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $0Difficulty: Easy
  • i made a draft guard for a door with recycled materials
This angled piece of heavy cardboard was part of a packing crate that came with our new barbecue.
It isn't as long as the width of the door, but it worked out nonetheless.
I made a sleeve, 32 inches by 8 inches. I sewed down the middle, leaving two channels.
I stuffed one channel with bits of foam and crumpled up plastic bags.
Then I pushed the cardboard thing into the empty side, with the high side on the outer edge.
The whole thing slid under the door perfectly, and it stays in place even when opening and closing the door.
In place, it is fairly unobtrusive. You could make the sleeve out of a colourful material, or even knit something.
The door no longer bleeds frigid air into the apartment!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 6, 2018 10:12 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.