Choyce
Choyce
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

I Made a Draft Guard for a Door With Recycled Materials

$0

I desperately needed a draft guard for the door to our cold storage room. The room maintains temperatures between 40 and 45 degrees F, a huge extra fridge!

A large gap under the door was letting a lot of chilly air into the apartment. As a renter, I didn't want to nail or glue anything to the door itself, so designed a draft stopper.
i made a draft guard for a door with recycled materials
This angled piece of heavy cardboard was part of a packing crate that came with our new barbecue.
It isn't as long as the width of the door, but it worked out nonetheless.
I made a sleeve, 32 inches by 8 inches. I sewed down the middle, leaving two channels.
I stuffed one channel with bits of foam and crumpled up plastic bags.
Then I pushed the cardboard thing into the empty side, with the high side on the outer edge.
The whole thing slid under the door perfectly, and it stays in place even when opening and closing the door.
In place, it is fairly unobtrusive. You could make the sleeve out of a colourful material, or even knit something.
The door no longer bleeds frigid air into the apartment!

Cardboard packing piece
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 06, 2018 10:58 PM - More info

3 questions on this project

• Jgl7933775
    Jan 13, 2018

yes I will!

• Kat16249367
    Jan 25, 2018

I need to do this right now! I had lots of snow blow in right inside the storm door, that it left several inches on floor and some on the indoor wreath! How best to find the heavy bent cardboard?

• Choyce
      Jan 25, 2018

Good question Mine came as packing material with a new barbecue. What you could try is making a channel in the center the width of the door, then slide two things on either side, like a pool noodle cut in half? let us know how that goes!