Choyce
Choyce
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

I Made a Draft Guard for a Door With Recycled Materials

$0

I desperately needed a draft guard for the door to our cold storage room. The room maintains temperatures between 40 and 45 degrees F, a huge extra fridge!

A large gap under the door was letting a lot of chilly air into the apartment. As a renter, I didn't want to nail or glue anything to the door itself, so designed a draft stopper.
i made a draft guard for a door with recycled materials
This angled piece of heavy cardboard was part of a packing crate that came with our new barbecue.
It isn't as long as the width of the door, but it worked out nonetheless.
I made a sleeve, 32 inches by 8 inches. I sewed down the middle, leaving two channels.
I stuffed one channel with bits of foam and crumpled up plastic bags.
Then I pushed the cardboard thing into the empty side, with the high side on the outer edge.
The whole thing slid under the door perfectly, and it stays in place even when opening and closing the door.
In place, it is fairly unobtrusive. You could make the sleeve out of a colourful material, or even knit something.
The door no longer bleeds frigid air into the apartment!

Cardboard packing piece

• Lynn

Couldnt you reverse it and put the stuffed side on the inside of the door?
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

It is on the inside. the flat edge goes under towards the outside and the stuffed side is inside the house.

• Choyce

I think that if you had the stuffing on the room side it would work as well
    • NancyMaria

If you put the stuffing on the outside of the door it could get wet and freeze and mold.
  • Betty Hardin

How did you attach it to the underside of the door? I think you did a wonderful project and I would like to implement it myself in my home.
    • Choyce

Hi Betty. It isn't attached at all, the puffy side holds it on one side and the L shaped cardboard holds it on the other side.. the whole thing slides under the door. Thanks for the question

• Lorraine Mensky

Did you know these can be purchased for less than $10.
  • Scott Flynn

I desperately need one for my APT. Door as well, but....the inside and outside of the Apartment is carpeted. Do you think it could still work? I only ask as I see your floor is tiled.
    • Choyce

Hi Scott. I don't think that kind of fabric would work, but maybe an old vinyl tablecloth would do the trick. Sorry I am unable to test mine over carpet, as there is none in my apt. Good luck with your project!
    • Cynthia Whitney

Or you could just use the angled cardboard and tuck it up against the door. Can't put it back as you go out but it will work when you are home. I have a door we don't use (it's an exit-only fire door) that I think I want to try this on.
    • Danielle Odin

You can find U channels and do the same without attaching it to the door.
  • Cyn15332276

Is it water proof.
    • Choyce

no it is not waterproof, as it serves a totally indoor area, there was no need. On the plus side, it is washable.
  • Sharon Falco

I just found angled pieces of cardboard lying on my dinning room table from a fireplace heater we purchased! Guess what I am making?

• Jgl7933775

yes I will!
  • Kat16249367

I need to do this right now! I had lots of snow blow in right inside the storm door, that it left several inches on floor and some on the indoor wreath! How best to find the heavy bent cardboard?
    • Choyce

Good question Mine came as packing material with a new barbecue. What you could try is making a channel in the center the width of the door, then slide two things on either side, like a pool noodle cut in half? let us know how that goes!