Thinking outside the box! Tree skirt/box that is.

+21
My husband and I spent our Christmas at the lake house so I wanted to do a more rustic chic tree. All the research I did showed me beautiful boxes like the one you created but I wanted to think outside the box. Considering I was 9 months pregnant with number 5 I wasn’t about to lay on the floor to put a skirt on the tree. So after my OCD took over decorating the tree I had to let go and let my husband wrap the base with grape vines for me. What do you think?
t thinking outside the box tree skirt box that is
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 18, 2017
    Very creative? Tree is very pretty. Rest back now and enjoy.
  • FL FL on Dec 18, 2017
    Love it! Looks perfect!
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 18, 2017
    I think it looks wonderful! Isn't it great that so many different ways of doing things sort of come together on a website like this one!
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 18, 2017
    That grapevine is unique as a tree skirt. I am sorry it won’t be unique any more — everybody will be copying this! Merry Christmas to the whole family. 😇
  • Absolutely beautiful! Be proud!
  • Leslie Leslie on Dec 19, 2017
    Just an FYI. If someone plans to do this now and cuts their grapevine you can soften it by putting it in a bath of hot water. It will conform to what you want to do with it much easier. VERY NICE idea Niki thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas :)
  • Joanie Joanie on Dec 19, 2017
    Everything is lovely........Good luck to you and # 5 comin', Merry Christmas, another added gift......Love!
  • LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Dec 19, 2017
    Very nice save! Thank you for sharing. Good luck with number five. :-)
  • Laurette Robinson Laurette Robinson on Dec 19, 2017
    Grapevine is also good to use as garland wrapped around your tree! I did this about 10 years ago and got great reviews!
  • Smooches Smooches on Dec 19, 2017
    fantastic idea...imagine all the possible option. thanks
  • Rembatb Rembatb on Dec 19, 2017
    Wow!
  • Niki McKee Niki McKee on Dec 20, 2017
    Awe! Thank you all sooo much! This was done in 2014. Our fifth will turn 3 January 3rd. 💗
    This year I put the tree in an old metal square bin with handles. I’ll post a picture soon. I just love all the creative people here! Thank you all so very much for being so inspiring and encouragingly helpful! I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!!
    • Bonnie Swint Bonnie Swint on Dec 20, 2017
      Can't wait to see pics of this year's tree in the metal bin. I absolutely love your awesome ideas and always look forward to seeing and trying for myself your newest projects! You totally rock my friend! Happy early birthday to #5. ❤
  • Gail Gail on Dec 22, 2017
    Mostbeye catching to me is your ribbon design on the tree. I especially like that. Very pretty!
  • Tanya Read Boogaard Tanya Read Boogaard on Dec 22, 2017
    Love the grapevine can’t wait to see the 2017 Tree
  • Niki McKee Niki McKee on Dec 22, 2017
    Thanks Gail! Like I said, my OCD takes over when I decorate lolol
  • Mar27152187 Mar27152187 on Dec 24, 2017
    Yes id like to know also! thank u!!
  • Connie Connie on Dec 29, 2017
    What kinda ribbon did you use on the tree and how did you get it so perfect looking
  • Niki McKee Niki McKee on Dec 29, 2017
    About the ribbon, I don’t have a tutorial or step by step pictures. I used 3 inch wired ribbon from Michael’s. It was sort of a burlap material with pretty gold foil pine cones.
    1. I started at the top of the tree and brought a strip of ribbon straight down at an angle so the ribbon sort of just floated over the tips of the branches then back up again.
    (So one strip twice the length of the tree from top to floor.)
    2. I used this strip as a guide to make 7 more strips.
    (So that‘s a total of 8 strips of ribbon.)
    3. Next I gathered all eight strips round the top stem of the tree where the star/angel/bow goes and let them fall.
    4. I gathered two strips and used a ruler to measure 10 inches from stem gathering down to where I used a twist-tie (the kind from the market used to secure produce bags) and do this all around.
    5. I added 2 inches to each of the next measured length, I call them pinches, to create the “diamonds” you see.
    6. Once I reached the bottom of the tree I twist-tied the ends to a branch on the underside of the tree so it looks like it was wrapped.
    7. I shouted for my husband to come do the “skirt” cuz I was hurting and needed to lay flat on my belly and that wasn’t going to happen with a term baby in there lol.
    Anyway, I think I listed all the steps. Oh! I made a bow for this tree with the same ribbon because ever other topper I had just didn’t go.
    I’m so happy you all like it. Let me know if you try it! Oh, and if my directions make sense.
    I saw a picture of tree with this criss-cross ribbon in blue in a mansion and the tree was a 15 footer! There was no tutorial or anything for me to go off of so I just played with it until I got what I liked and my tree was 7 feet. I hope that helps.
    Peace and love!
  • Niki McKee Niki McKee on Dec 29, 2017
    2017 tree. This is a 6 foot fake tree I bought at Target last year for only $13!!! It’s not very full but I like it that way. The tin bucket was our water bucket for our German Shepherd, we gave her a new one. The marquee deer head I got in a mystery bag (large black bags filled with what’s left over after all the sales and clearance) after Christmas in 2014 from a Michael’s clean out for, wait for it... only ✋🏼 DOLLARS!!! 😱 I know!! Hope you like this one too.
  • Diana Diana on Jan 03, 2018
    Just seen your trees love the ribbon from I guess from 2014 absolutely beautiul

• Lawanda Galbreath Lawanda Galbreath on Feb 11, 2018
    Epic Decision Girlie!

• Maria Maria on Feb 12, 2018
    I have tried this look with strings of silver and gold Beads. But I must say it NEVER came out as perfect as your beautiful ribbon.