DIY Coat Rack With Inspirational Saying

$30
1 Day

Having a few wood working tools and a husband who is a genius when it comes to using them is a great combination for creating projects when you need something that you can't find anywhere.

I have an ugly free standing coat rack in my foyer. I've never liked it, and I was ready for a change. I wanted one to go on the wall, but I wanted something classic with an inspiring quote.

My husband and I designed and built this DIY Coat Rack together. This was my first wood working project since 8th grade, and I really enjoyed it.
You can see that this classic design can be built to suit anyone's style by changing the color, hooks, and knobs. The quote can be changed as well, to fit any style from farmhouse to industrial.
Here are all of the supplies that I used for this project:

• 36" x 12" Wood - I purchase a piece that was pre-cut to this size. It was inexpensive and easier than having to cut down a larger piece.
  • Primer
  • Paint
  • 3 hooks
  • 2 knobs
  • Paint brush
  • Sand Paper
  • Electric Drill and bits
  • Pencil
  • Tape Measure

Start by sanding the wood. My piece was fairly smooth, but had 2 rough edges. You can hand sand it with sand paper or use and electric sander.

Paint the wood with one coat of primer. Let dry.
Next you will want to mark where you want your holes drilled for the hooks and knobs. I chose to do a mixture of hooks and knobs, but you may choose to do all knobs or all hooks.

I had a bit of a challenge, because the hooks had 2 holes, but the knobs only had one hole. The hooks had screws, but the knobs had bolts.

You can see how I figured the placement of my hardware in the photo above.
Use the electric drill to drill pilot holes for the screws and holes for the bolts.

The bolts were rounded and didn't lay flush with the surface of the wood. We had to drill a larger hole so the bolts would be recessed.
Paint primer over your pencil marks. Let dry. Paint the board the color you wish. You will need two coats. Let dry between coats.

When the paint is dry, screw in the hooks, and bolt the knobs.
I used my Cricut Maker to make the inspirational quote. I had also thought about doing our last name and established date, but I really liked this saying.

If you don't own a vinyl cutting machine, you can order a quote from Etsy or a local sign shop.

My husband and I finished this project over a weekend. A lot of that time when spent letting the project dry.

If you are a more experienced wood worker, you can add a routed edge or a shelf on the top.

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Pam - P.S. I Love You Crafts

1 comment
  • Linda Abate

Totally love your sign and the saying is fabulous. This would make such a great gift for family or friend. Great in a mud room, entry way or even a bedroom.