Insulating A Crawl Space/Attic Door

$20

I love our nice big closet in our bedroom but I don’t love the uninsulated access door to our crawl space which is in the closet. It gets a little frigid in there winter mornings.
This is the access door to our crawl space which runs along the length of our bathroom. The access door is in our closet which is fine except the fact that the crawl space has very little insulation and neither does the door.
As you can see, using the ”flame test”, the door is a little crooked which leaves a gap at the top and the bottom which allows cold air to flow into our closet.
My husband and I have made numerous attempts to quickly put up insulation but it always ended up not working.
I decided enough was enough and I was going to insulate it correctly.
I began by removing the old stick-on insulation using a putty knife.
Then I went inside the crawl space and closed the door. Using a pencil I drew onto the door where the door frame came in contact with the door (Red line)
I purchased this pack of foam panels. They are 3/4”x13-5/8”x48” and there are 6 in a pack. I only used 3 for my door.
I began by measuring the width of the door.
A. I marked one foam panel
B. Drew a straight line
C. Cut using a utility knife
To hold the panels in place, I used painter’s tape and taped the panel to the door.
A. I drilled a pilot hole
B. Using a #10 washer & wood screw
C & D. I attached the panel to the door making the screw snug but not too tight.
I used a washer to assure that the screw didn’t got completely through the foam.
Once the door was screwed in place, I removed the painter’s tape.
For the inside door handle:
A & B. I measured and cut pieces to fit around the handle
C. I used white 3M Heavy Duty duct tape to hold the pieces in place
D. Then I added more duct tape to assure that everything out hold

I continued to add foam panels working my way down the door. Where sections of foam came together, I taped the seam with duct tape.
The red circles indicate where I attached screws to the door.
Once all of the panels were in place, I chaulked around the edges of the panels.
Whlie the chaulk dried,
A & B. I added rubber tubing around the edge of the door
C. It is adhesive and the back peels right off
D. I attached it around the inside edge of the door
To finish,
A. I used a door sweep
B. This is also adhesive and the backing peels off
C. I applied the sweep to the bottom of the door
Now my door is completely sealed and as you can see by the “flame test”, no air is leaking through.
I’m ready for you, Old Man Winter!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

• Mark
    Mark

My storm door sticks at top - opposite of hinge side

• Carrie Berg
    Carrie Berg

My front door does not match up to the frame very well. And I can see daylight from every side. I'm a renter, so I'm limited to some options. Is it even possible to do something like this to my front door and have it look nice? I have tried all store products and nothing stays for very long.

• Michelle
      Michelle

Definitely doing this to my front door. Now to figure out the slider.. Brr

• Nancy
    Nancy

We have a bilco door...horrible...not insulated...any ideas.?

• Donna
    Donna

In your case, I am wondering whether it would have been faster, and easier to cover the inside the closet walls with the foam panels to insulate the walls, rather

than the door. I am thinking that there must be some kind of removable glue, such as post note pad type glue to attach the panels to the walls and ceiling, of your closet and then tape the panel joints.

• Lisa West
      Lisa West

The air was and is coming from the door opening. That's what she wanted to stop to hold in the heat in her closet and bed room. Now for extra insulation I would do that around the bathroom walls to help keep the bathroom from getting cold. I feel there is nothing more uncomfortable is a bathroom. We use the bathroom more then what we think. Beside going potty we shower brush our teeth. S ok me use the bathroom to do make up hair. Men use to shave and do their hair if they have hair. Wash hands and so on. It amazing how much we really are in the bathroom. For me I hide in here from people when I need a few min of quiet lol.

• Rick
    Rick

I would only suggest using the chaulk alone to hold the foam panels on instead of screwing them on.