What a Way to Recycle!

$2

I was desperately in need of some storage solutions, but couldn't find anything to suit my needs in the stores (that I was willing to pay for, anyway), so I started looking around my house to see what I had on hand that I could use. I am sick of trying to get a drill or other hand tool and having to dig through tangled electrical cords, often having to move one to get to another. Also, I hate leaving my
Raw Materials for storage; i.e. Recyclables
I gathered the materials that I wanted to use, then went to work.
Checking the size needed.
Checking the size needed.
I marked where the duct tape reached on the roll, then cut about 1/4" smaller so that tape could be turned in on edges. Then I cut the paper towel roll to fit the tape.
what a way to recycle
Next, I rolled the tape around the cardboard, cut it and taped the ends over the edges. One storage solution done!
Tired of the mess!
Tired of the mess!
Using a wire lid holder that I had on hand, I grouped my corded drills and staple guns and glue gun and used the wrapped paper towel rolls to gather up the cords. The I placed them in the slots for the lids.
So much neater and easier to use!
So much neater and easier to use!
Now to tackle the mess in my refrigerator! I measured the boxes to make sure that they would hold the bottles securely, even if they weren't full. Then I took some decorative floral sticky backed paper and cut it to the size of the inside of the boxes. I lined them with the paper strictly for the look, and then placed them in the fridge to hold up the water bottles. I ended up using three separate boxes because they can hold differing amounts of bottles securely.
what a way to recycle
what a way to recycle
what a way to recycle
what a way to recycle
what a way to recycle
what a way to recycle
Once I had the boxes lined, I filled them with water bottles. I love it, because now I can rearrange the bottles and space as needed, rather than having a huge case of water taking up all the premium space in my fridge. Best of all, these ended up not costing me anything extra, because I recycled the materials! Don't worry, I recycle the bottles, too!

• Linda Orwick Reed

Great idea. Looks nice. I read that the air should move freely in the frig, so wondering if the boxes would constrict that? Boxes and tight fighting is good for the freezer though. Maybe as you can afford (or find sales) wire containers, replace the boxes with them in frig. Again, great idea.
    • Tommie Warren Usry

Very easy to take a hole punch and put a few extra small holes in the back if you are worried about air circulation.

• Jan Drayton

I wonder if the cardboard in the refrigerator would still absorb moisture even with the covering? fun idea.

• Ruth M Brannigan

You could use plastic containers that have an open faux weave pattern. Or you could drill holes thru the plastic. No moisture collection would take place and they’d be washable. I really love this idea. Too many smaller objects get lost in the unchartered area. Thanks for this concept. It is brilliant.

• Regina Sue Hite

Can this be used on counter tops?

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

Regina, did you mean could the decorative box idea, or the self-stick paper? I used a really cheap version of contact paper. That one will actually stick better outside the refrigerator, in warmer temps, but it's not that durable, so I wouldn't advise covering countertops with it.

• Darcia

Wow..yes working on it as I text! Thanks..

• Doris

Great idea, I already using empty cartons several weeks ago not able to decorate it cause unable to use my hands cause of medical issue, would you be able to come with other way to decorate it. Thank you keep up the good works.